Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Dead!!

Hey guys I just wanted some friendly advice. I have a 55g tank that had 6 cichlids in it. They've been in there for about 3-6 weeks and about two days ago they ALL died. I tested my water and the ph is fine. I have goldfish in there now to try and help "fully" cycle it but Idk what to do. Any ideas?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #2

Your tank is not properly cycled. You need to check your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. You're in a fish in cycle so look it up and be ready to do water changes

Old 07-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you had them in for a few weeks the cycle must be well under way, must have been an ammonia, nitrite or nitrate spike that killed them, or a combination of all. If your going to keep cichlids you really need a water test kit as they require pretty good water and are never good to do a fish in cycle with. I would test regularly and wait till fully cycled before restocking with cichlids. Tons of articles around on fishless or fish in cycles to read, easy enough to do as long as you test regularly and carry out the required water changes.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just read another thread off yours ref PH, you need to read up on some stuff - if you change your PH quickly through chemical or water changes you can kill fish. PH also effects ammonia, higher the PH the more toxic ammonia becomes, so an ammonia reading taken at ph 6.5 might not be toxic, but the same reading at ph 7.5 might be.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/nitrogen-cycle

http://www.seachem.com/Library/SeaGr...Management.pdf
Old 07-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #5

Ok thank you that really helps!

Tags
dead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com