Dechlorinator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

winstonsmith84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So when adding the dechlorinator to tap water, it's safe to do it in the bucket then pour directly into the tank correct? Or is there a certain amount of time involved before pouring it in.

Total newb here but I'm pretty sure it's ok as long as not poured directly onto tank. I'm using a bucket specifically for water changes that's never touched anything else and I put a few drops of it per gallon (as specified) when I make a wc. Is more or less advised? I've seen posts where they say put double the recommended amount in. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks.

You can actually add it directly to the tank if you want. The way I do my water changes, I remove x amount of water, pour in the appropriate amount of dechlorinator, swish it around for one or two seconds, and then refill the tank.

What conditioner are you using? Prime only requires 2 drops per gallon and can be safely dosed up to 5 times the recommended amount in an emergency. It's one of only two products on the market that safely binds ammonia and nitrite for up to 48 hours, making them harmless to fish.

I ha used some prime cause my ammonia levels were really high. I've been doing a ton of wc's and have gotten ammonia down to a .5. Doin one more tonight to see if I can decrease to a .25.

I'm using in my bucket before I pour water in, API tap water conditioner. About 2 drops per gallon. Just wanted to check I was on the right path or should use more or less drops.

Thanks for helping. New tank cycling with fish in and trying to do the right thing.

Sorry, not sure I understood. :) Are you using both Prime and API water conditioner? Feel free to ask any and all questions. I was brand new at fish just eight months ago and everyone was really nice helping me learn the ropes. :)

Couple of days ago my ammonia was really high. I had been dechlorinating with API. But then spoke to the lfs and he suggested to use prime to reduce ammonia levels. I did but in my research realized that it was only a quick fix. So then went back to wc and using the API water conditioner.

I guess I would ask if I could use prime as my conditioner instead of the API dechlorinator as both have a dechlorinating ability.

Does that make more sense?

Yes. :) There is no need to use both Prime and API. Prime does everything API does + binding ammonia and nitrite. I use Prime in all my tanks. Just drain the water, add the appropriate amount of Prime directly to the tank, temperature match water and fill back up. Easy. :)

Ok cool. But my issue with ammonia. From what I've read, prime, as an ammonia fix, only binds it up for 24-48 hrs. In this tank which is new, I spiked a 2ppm ammonia. I don't want to just "bind" it I want to get rid of it with wc's. So I stopped using prime and am just doing wc's regularly and adding in the dechlorinating API.

Everyone is happy it appears since I've lowered ammonia. I just hope I can get this cycle moving along.

Thanks again.

It's best to use Prime and still do water changes to keep the ammonia/nitrite low. If you don't use Prime (or some other binder) your fish will be exposed to ammonia/nitrite (albeit low levels) until your tank cycles.

Bacteria will still feed on bound ammonia/nitrite just as it would normally, so there is no impact on the cycling process. Prime just makes cycling a bit easier on the fish.

The Prime won't affect the cycle at all. I guarantee. If you're doing a fish-in cycle, you would be far better off using the Prime to help add an extra safeguard in between water changes for your fish. I'm not good at explaining the science end of fishkeeping, but I can absolutely promise you that Prime will NOT stall your cycle and is the best product you can use right now to protect your fish from toxic levels of ammonia. That is not to say don't water change--definitely do, as much as you need to to get levels to 0, but Prime is useful for ammonia and nitrite spikes that can occur within a few hours' time. I had a tank with 0,0 and within 4 hours I saw my fish gasping and found lethal levels of toxins in the water. Prime helps keep this from happening. What fish do you have?

Thanks Greta and Anibis. Much appreciated.

So let me clarify what I need to do and correct me if I'm wrong. When I do a water change, instead of adding the API dechlorinator use the prime instead? This will both dechlorinator and "bind" my high levels?

I read only a few drops per gallon for API. Do u know recommended dose for a water change based on how many gallons I'm taking out for prime? I've been doing 3-5g water changes almost 3x a day for past few days to bring levels to 0.

If u need details on tank I can give but it's tight since this is my first 10g tank and I have now learned I'm overstocked.

I have one more wc before bed to bring me within acceptable limits so I should add prime at that point your both saying?

Thanks for your input.

Tank details are always helpful. :)
Yes. Use the Prime from now on. No API. Dose for the full tank when you change water. So if you remove, say, 30% of water, still use a full dose for the 10 gallons. How overstocked are you? If it's severe, a double dose would be good, and totally safe so long as you're running a good filter to oxygenate the water.

Tanks is holding:

Four mollies between 1&2 inches
One pleco around 2-3 inches.

With regards to prime it says 1ml per 10 gallons. So gabby your saying for every wc I should 1ml of prime? No mater what the wc level is?

Yes. Whatever the water level, while you are cycling the tank, use a full dose of Prime.
You're overstocked, yes, but I've seen far worse. Your mollies need a 20 gallon tank as soon as possible but as long as you keep up the regular water changes, they'll be okay.
The pleco, unfortunately, you may already know will grow to 12+ inches and will need 125 gallons all to himself. If you would be willing to return him, so long as none of your mollies are pregnant, you could keep them fairly healthy with regularl water changes for a few months. Then they will definitely need a 20 gallon. Again, the caveat here is that they can't be pregnant or that changes everything.
In the meantime, dose for full tank volume, keep up the regular water changes, and things should be okay. :) Good luck--I remember my days of 80% water changes two and three times a day. NOT fun. Total empathy!!

Thanks for the kind words. I figured I'd get some slack for having what I have.

Yeh, the lfs guy didn't inform me about my pleco getting 12 inches. He knew the size of my tank. And I informed him about what I was stocking it with. Nothing. Needless to say I didn't like him, and do not go back there. I've found that the lf guy at petsmart is much more knowledgable. He told me about prime and a few other things which have helped me make sure the fish are ok. That's my main objective.

So thanks again Greta. Def helpful. I am being diligent about wc's to ensure low levels. I tried the liquid "safe starts" and now know I have to just maintain levels and watch feeding.

I will do another wc in an hour and use prime to assist. I will keep u posted. Good news I guess is all the "kiddies" are doing good right now. And my pleco has finally started to move around the tank.

So does every pleco have the ability to get up to 12"? I'm sort of hating my local fish store! I shouldn't be surprised it's a chain.

The joys of pet stores. Blergh. My theory: The sicker a fish gets, the more money you spend frantically to make it better. If the fish dies, you buy even more to try to make sure the next one doesn't. ergo, the store makes money. They make a business out of not telling you the truth about fish. But maybe that's just the cynic coming out in me ...

But no, not all plecos grow to 12. There are different types. Typically the ones sold as "algae eaters" seem to be the huge ones though. Can you post a pic to help identify him? :)

Here he is. And yeh now I realize the lfs is a money maker. But I found a good guy at petsmart tbh so I'll be going there. There is also an exotic pet shop by me I'm going to check out. Mom and pop I believe. Def gonna check them out.

So this is my pleco. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390739518.747832.jpg

Back
Top Bottom