Dechlorinators and water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DesertFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a month-old 56 gal tank cycling with some Zebra Danios that I am doing daily 10%-15% water changes on and I started wondering last night...

Right now I am adding dechlorinator directly in the tank prior to refilling with my python, but I only add enough dechlorinator for 20 gal, which is about twice the recommended amount based on the actual water volume that I'm changing (about 10 gal). I figured extra is better than not enough basically.

Is this safe? Should I be adding enough dechlorinator for the entire tank capacity (56 gal) with every water change? Or is adding too much dechlorinator dangerous?

So far the fish have been doing well with what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance.

if you're using a python and putting tap water directly in to the tank, then you need to add dechlor for the entire volume of the tank. If you're pre-treating the water in buckets, then you only need to use enough dechlor for the amount of water in the buckets.

if you're using a python and putting tap water directly in to the tank, then you need to add dechlor for the entire volume of the tank. If you're pre-treating the water in buckets, then you only need to use enough dechlor for the amount of water in the buckets.

+1.

+2

Would someone recommend a widely available water conditioner with no extra additives? It seems that half of them I see have other stuff in them such as ammonia removers (which I don't want since I'm cycling)....

Thanks

Prime is great, and lasts longer than any other dechlor i've used. Most dechlors use 5ml per 10g, Prime uses 5ml per 50g. It stinks, but it works great ;)

Prime says it removes ammonia. Will the conditioners that contain 'ammonia remover' keep the tank from cycling? Seachem's product page says it won't disrupt a cycle, but I don't normally like taking a manufacturer's word for it.

+4
Another Prime user here.
I always dose the entire tank volume 3-4Xs normal.
It rains alot here and after a good rain, our Water Authority adds extra chloramine.
Prime specifically states that you can use up to 5Xs safely.
Seachem/Prime said:
For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used.
Prime and most other detoxifiers bind NH3, NO2 & NO3 with another molecule(s) to make them inert, but they are still usable by the Beneficial Bacterium.
Prime will not affect your cycle.

Sweet, +1s

Thanks for the info

I've been using API Stress Coat and I'm worried something is preventing the tank from cycling because it's been 1 month and still no Nitrites have shown themselves. My ammonia hasn't risen above .5 ppm either. Stock is 10 Zebra Danios for cycling. I do ~15% water changes daily.

Sweet, +1s

Thanks for the info

I've been using API Stress Coat and I'm worried something is preventing the tank from cycling because it's been 1 month and still no Nitrites have shown themselves. My ammonia hasn't risen above .5 ppm either. Stock is 10 Zebra Danios for cycling. I do ~15% water changes daily.
fishless cycling can take 6-8 weeks.... with fish its slower and take 8-10 weeks.... it takes time dont worry.

Back
Top Bottom