Diary of a Brand New Aquarium (with Bio-Spira used)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good to know, only salt more to make up for water changes.

Crossing my fingers the little guys are ok.

Ok :) I have had ICH and It takes 5 or so days with heat, salt, and quickcure.

You need to keep the lights off or even black out the tank. Depending on if you have live plants or not you might want to move them and treat them seperately. Add 1 tablespoon salt per 5 gallons. do a 25% water change. Stop feeding the fish for a couple days. Raise the temp to 84-85F. Add the Quick Cure. Remove Carbon

Do a 25% water change adding salt and add the Quick Cure daily after the water change.

Do this for 4 days on the 5th day things should be cleared up and you can start lowering the temp.

I did this with my 29 gallon tank and Have not had another ICH case in over 4 months.

I had 5 tiger barbs, 3 guppies, 3 skunk loaches, 2 flying foxes, and a cory cat in the tank and no fish died. I blacked out my tank with newspaper. I fed the fish a small amount on the 3rd day. Oh I forgot a bulldog pleco too.

anyhow I hope it clears up for ya!

No light huh? Ok...

I'll do another water change tomorrow - it won't interfere with the cycling?

I'll also see if I can get some Quick Cure.

Crossing my fingers.

If the Bio-Spira worked then you should not have a "cycle" to interfere with.

I don't have any experience with blackout method - I've only done that for algae blooms - but water changes at this early stage in your tank should not include any kind of gravel vac or disturbance of the surfaces in the tank or filter. If you just remove water and add fresh it won't interfere.

Ok... Asking this because I'm a little conflicted here...

We are now into the 5th day of a new tank. I have dosed it with Bio-Spira at either end of these 5 days. I plan to check chem levels again tomorrow as I have done each day, but it's looking like the Bio-Spira did not work for me since I am starting a spike in ammonia. Discovered today that at least 5 of the 10 fish in the tank have ich. I've raised the temp 3 degrees and will raise it another 3 tomorrow. I've also added 7 tablespoons of aquarium salt. I fed the fish VERY lightly today. I did a 20% water change 2 days ago.

When should I do my next water change?
How often should I change the water?
When should I start vacuuming the gravel?
When the cycling appears to be done (if the Bio-Spira fails completely), will I need to re-treat for ich when introducing a few new fish?
When this is done, should I replace the canister filter innards for any reason, or wait until the manufacturer recommends changes?

(does this happen to everyone?)

When should I do my next water change?

Since you just put in bio spira you might want to give it a couple days to attach itsself to something as its free floating when you first put it in.

How often should I change the water?

Normally once a week should be fine unless you feed more than 2 times a day or have a heavy fish load for the tank.

When should I start vacuuming the gravel?

After putting in the bio spira I would wait a few days then lightly vaccum the surface of the gravel to remove fish wastes. Also I would feed lightly while going through this kind of cycle.

When the cycling appears to be done (if the Bio-Spira fails completely), will I need to re-treat for ich when introducing a few new fish?

You should have a seperate tank for new fish and keep them there for a couple of weeks. If you do not do this you will always run a chance of introducing a nmew disease everytime you introduce a new fish.

When this is done, should I replace the canister filter innards for any reason, or wait until the manufacturer recommends changes?

I have not used a canister filter but I would not replace anything but the charcoal in anyfilter you can rinse the media in tank water then put it back in. Some one with more experience with a canister type filter will be able to help alittle more.

As far as treating with meds, salt and heat. Yes you can run into problems if your not careful because you are subjecting the fish to alot of stress while they are already under stress from the ICH. You could try the salt treatment and heat for a week and see how that goes. My own methods were done after researching a ton of information about Ich and the various treatments. The theroy behind no light is that the ICH cannot see if theres no light and it makes it harder for it to find the host. Also the fish are under less stress when there is some darkness and They move less and use less oxygen in darkness. You will need to keep up the aireation for oxygen when raising the temp.

I can feel for you with just starting this tank and having to go through the treament of ich. One good thing from all of this is that the bacteria like warmer temps and will grow faster so it will help things as far as the cycle goes.

Ok enough rambling. What would I do?? I would change water daily 25% while treating for ICH. I would keep the lights low. I would not feed the fish very much for the next few days. I would add salt double dose over 2 days meaning 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon the first day the another dose the second day. I would keep the temp at 84F. I would vaccum wastes from the bottom during water changes daily. I would make sure my water temp when changing is exactly the same.

Anyhow I really hope things turn around I hate to see problems happen to people :(

UPDATE on READINGS:

Ammonia @ 1.0
Nitrites @ 0
Nitrates @ 0
pH @ 8.0

Have raised the heater setting another 3 degrees. Sandy the black molly is now covered with ich. Poor guy :(

MoxieGrrrl said:
Have raised the heater setting another 3 degrees. Sandy the black molly is now covered with ich. Poor guy :(

Sandy can survive this. All my tetras survived with the exception of one. One of which was almost covered from head to tail.

Just a thought. Since you have fish, why not change water every day until nitrate shows up? I'd bet you could do a 3g water change, with cheap funnel for 1/2 gallon bottles ito 1 gallon, in 30 minutes. I've got a four year-old and she's in charge of holding and transferring the funnel, which saves lots of time and makes it fun :)

Nice tank, btw. I especially like the effect of the rocks outside the aquarium extending the bow front. That was a great idea. Best of luck!

czcz -

Thanks. :) The rocks have all moved to the side with the tubing and plugs now because my cat seems to think they are large toys. And of course my daughter comes and continues to move things around too :)

I'm going to give it two more days before I do more water changes. I've been keeping my eye on them and they seem out of sorts, but I think it's the ich making them uncomfortable and not know what to do. :(

I've been feeding very lightly, too, since I think I slightly overfed them the first few days. Still don't know if Peach is eating, but will get zucchini and try tying it to a rock.

UPDATE: Patheticus died. I am not surprised - he was always a bit squirrely (runty, swam funny, etc). The others still seem ok, despite the fact that half of them have ich. I will be testing in a few minutes and will post the results...

Results are in:
Ammonia @ .75 (lower)
Nitrite @ 0
Nitrate @ less than 5 ppm
pH @ 8.0

Have strapped a piece of zucchini to the magnet cleaner and positioned it about an inch and a half from Peach. He hasn't made a move for it yet. Sandy is absolutely covered in ich - I added 2.5 tablespoons of salt to the water and raised another degree. Hopefully I will see a change in the next couple of days. I will be so disappointed if I lose these guys.

On the plus side, my daughter seems to enjoy the process of removing a dead fish and saying goodbye to it as it flushes down the toilet. Morbid little girl :wink:

Any comments on how things are going?

MAJOR UPDATE:

Happy New Year everyone! :D

Now for the sad... :( Woke up this morning to have to do a huge funeral. The only two left are Spot and Sandy. And Sandy's been resting at water level since yesterday - swims a little, but mostly hangs out there. Spot seems to be doing well - no signs of lethargy. Can't find Miranda or one of the orange guppies - presume dead, hope I find them.

Please note the readings though...

Ammonia @ just under 1.5 (my chart skips from .25 to 1.5)
Nitrite @ 0
Nitrate @ 0
pH @ 8.0

I use the Nitrate test kit by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, the rest I use the TetraTest Laborett. I've used two packets of Bio-Spira and I am showing NO Nitrates after 8 days? Is that possible? The Bio-Spira must be working to some degree - the ammonia levels should be around 3.5 right now if I was doing a regular cycling with fish.

Should I turn off the air stone?
Should I do a gravel vacuum?

Peach the pleco was doing so great yesterday... :(

so sorry to hear! :cry: A very rough start for a new tank. I sure do hope things turn around for you soon.

I need some help, o experienced ones! Please read the past couple of posts and advise the :n00b:

I don't know what step to take next!

Moxie, since I've never used bio-spira, I cannot advise on that front. Do Sandy or Spot have any spots? I've read your co-thread and as far as the ich treatment is going, you doing it correctly. I'm really saddened that you've lost so many so soon. :cry: :cry:

Sandy's spots seem to be going away, they are not nearly as noticable, but he still swims/floats near the surface (I always check him as I walk by to see if he's kicked it or not). Spot seems to be on the mend too. He was out and swimming around like he didn't have a care in the world. When Spot's not swimming, he's usually resting on the gravel.

I see that there is buildup of rotting food (I guess the other fish stopped eating and now that they are dead Sandy and Spot couldn't eat enough), but I am not sure if I should disturb the gravel with vacuuming yet.

Also, how much longer should I keep up with salt treatments? How often should I do water changes?

Another question that came to mind... I obviously want to stock more fish since that's the point of having the aquarium. I cannot financially justify getting a second tank to quarrantine new fish for days or weeks. Do I assume all fish have ich and treat as I am introducing them or was my case a rare one?

I am so sad I lost all these fish and that the tank is looking rank already and I'm feeling overwhelmed that perhaps I took on a bigger project than I can handle. (Someone give me the academy award for feeling sorry for myself.)

Ok. Enough of that. I need someone to tell me what steps I should take over the next few days/weeks - that would be really, really helpful. Thanks for putting up with me!

No problem Moxie. The treatment should go at least two/three weeks. This way you will be sure that no parasites remain. You should assume that all fish from LFS may have ich or some other ailment (which is why qt is recommended). You can lightly vacuum the gravel (no digging...just surface scratching). Continue to do water changes (twice a week isn't too bad).

And the winner is.... :band: Moxie! Moxie!

(You can thank your public later)

Sounds a lot like my first tank experience. Don't feel too sorry for yourself, your tank will make it through the cycle eventually. Once the tank is established it will get a lot easier, I promise! The only thing you can really do at this point is keep up your ich treatment, keep testing your water, and keep up on the water changes. Hang in there! :D

Back
Top Bottom