Did a 90% PWC this morning and Nitrites jumped sky high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
img_2460888_0_ba34e7c2d1fbb936311ec876abd0bd5f.jpg

So I decided to take a picture of where I am at with my chemicals, Ammonia I think is at 0, Nitrite starts off now clear/blue then goes to purple and Nitrate looks IMO higher than 80 ppm but less than 160 but its getting close.

I read in another thread where (jlk) advised to really shake all the API chemicals and even bang them before testing.

I added 2.5 ml of Ammonia which equals 1.0 ppm on Wed at around 11 pm - nothing since.

Your ammonia looks zero, nitrites look high and nitrates around 80 though they could be higher as the test jumps from 80 to 160. Does it look like your nitrates have increased since weds? Is your ph still steady?

Your ammonia looks zero, nitrites look high and nitrates around 80 though they could be higher as the test jumps from 80 to 160. Does it look like your nitrates have increased since weds? Is your ph still steady?

PH is sitting steady at 7.6 which is my tap water, Nitrates have gotten a little darker, its just so hard to tell because as you said the test goes from 80 to 160....

Think I need another water change? I am honestly at a loss, I know the Nitrite to Nitrate conversion is slow going but this is killing me. I am at officially day 31 of the cycle.

Actually, for 30 days in, your tank is doing pretty well! Some people do not even see ammonia drops or nitrites in the first four weeks. Unfortunately, mother nature works at her own pace. Aside from adding cycled media, there is not a lot anyone is able to do to speed up the process. Some people have had luck with bottled bacteria products though many have not.

Add some ammonia tomorrow and hang in there! :)

Actually, for 30 days in, your tank is doing pretty well! Some people do not even see ammonia drops or nitrites in the first four weeks. Unfortunately, mother nature works at her own pace. Aside from adding cycled media, there is not a lot anyone is able to do to speed up the process. Some people have had luck with bottled bacteria products though many have not.

Add some ammonia tomorrow and hang in there! :)

Interesting, I added two plants from a small tank that was cycled early in the process, maybe that is why I saw my Ammonia drop with in 15 days.

What is interesting I am 9 days into cycling my second tank 29 gallon (yep I am cycling two tanks at once) and I added two fake corals from the bigger tank, In a day in a half I am converting 4 ppm of Ammonia to .25, I already am off the charts in Nitrites (I seem to do that well LOL) and Nitrates are around 40 ppm.

I will obviously keep you posted.

So I checked my chemicals just about 15 minutes ago - I put in 1 ppm of ammonia yesterday evening

The Nitrites took forever to get dark, longer then they have, and IMO the Nitrates are darker then they have ever been. The Nitrites aren't off the charts purple, so since it looks like it my tank is starting to convert Ammonia to Nitrites to Nitrates - should I add more Ammonia tonight?

Looks good!!! Your nitrites has definitely dropped as they are taking awhile to develop and the tube appears to be losing its 'pink' tone. Dose to 1ppm again tonight and lets see if your nitrites drop even further by tomorrow! :)

Looks good!!! Your nitrites has definitely dropped as they are taking awhile to develop and the tube appears to be losing its 'pink' tone. Dose to 1ppm again tonight and lets see if your nitrites drop even further by tomorrow! :)

Here are the results from tonight - IMO a huge change on the Nitrites, almost zero. I added 2 ml of ammonia which is 1 ppm, I was thinking about going up to 2 ppm and see if everything converts.

img_2465273_0_4d66df885a30b1542e0c72989ae450ac.jpg

That's more like it! Increase it by .5ppm. You don't want to overwhelm your newly establishing bacteria. If you have similar results tomorrow, then bump it up by another .5. If the nitrites spike, keep the dose the same- don't increase it. :)

That's more like it! Increase it by .5ppm. You don't want to overwhelm your newly establishing bacteria. If you have similar results tomorrow, then bump it up by another .5. If the nitrites spike, keep the dose the same- don't increase it. :)

just an update, so I read your post after I dosed the tank with Ammonia, I went with 2 ppm not 1.5 ppm - Tested it at 6 pm the next day (earlier then I normally test) and it had more purple in it, but I checked it again around 11 pm and looked like the picture on 5/6

So I added 2 ppm more yesterday and checked it at 9 pm today and the levels were at the same as in the picture on 5/6 other than the Nitrates were darker.

Added 5 ML of ammonia which is equal to 2.5 ppm today, and I will post the results tomorrow, I am just taking it slow as suggested, no reason to mess up my tank in final stages.

If the results are the same as today I may add 2.5 ppm again allowing everything to establish.

basically the tank is cycled

when I say basically, I am going to see if it cycles another 4 ppm of ammonia tonight

So I started with 1 ppm of ammonia, jumped to 2 ppm, did 2 ppm for two days, 2.5 for two day, 3 for two days and 3.5 one day and 4 for one day.

Ammonia would be at 0, Nitrites 0, and Nitrates around 160

It cycled everything in about 20 hours yesterday and that was 4 ppm - added another 4 ppm tonight to see if it did it again.

If it does, what are my next steps? I wouldn't think I would need to add 4 ppm everyday? Not totally sure of the fish yet, did a lot of research on it and I think I am going to go with

5 Cherry Barbs (these have to go in first because I am transferring them from another tank that I want to shut down.
1 Stripped Raphael Catfish also going into the tank first because of the small tank I shutting down.
5 Diamond Tetra
5 Boesemans Rainbow fish
2 Angelfish

That's great!!! Congrats! Do you have any idea of when you plan on purchasing fish? Keep dosing ammonia until the day before doing so. If your temp is bumped up, drop it gradually over a few days down to the level you want.

The day before adding fish, skip the ammonia and do as close to 100% wc as you can mange. Wait 10mins or so before turning your filters back on. In half hr or so, test your levels (mainly nitrate). If your nitrate is not down to your tap level (or close to it) , you may need to do another big wc (or two). Make sure you temperature match and properly condition all new water. That's about it! Please ask if you have questions! :)

That's great!!! Congrats! Do you have any idea of when you plan on purchasing fish? Keep dosing ammonia until the day before doing so. If your temp is bumped up, drop it gradually over a few days down to the level you want.

The day before adding fish, skip the ammonia and do as close to 100% wc as you can mange. Wait 10mins or so before turning your filters back on. In half hr or so, test your levels (mainly nitrate). If your nitrate is not down to your tap level (or close to it) , you may need to do another big wc (or two). Make sure you temperature match and properly condition all new water. That's about it! Please ask if you have questions! :)

Should I dose 4 ppm of Ammonia until the day before or a lower level?

I have 5 Cherry Barbs and 1 Catfish now that I was going to transfer over, so it will be sometime this week. Will that be enough fish to sustain my filter?

I am cycling my 29 gallon that is going to serve as my quarantine tank for my 55 gallon. (at least it will be a first)

Also any thoughts on my fish selection?

If its only for a few more days, just stick to 4ppm. If the tank was going to remain empty for a lengthy period of time (like my qt), I would drop the frequency of the ammonia dose but not the amount.

I am afraid I am not going to be a big help on tropical stocking as goldies are my thing. You may need to post a stocking thread if you have specific questions or concerns about the fish you are considering. Hopefully, someone will chime in here!

jlk - thanks for all your help

I added fish to the tank and so far so good, two days in and levels are good. I added 6 cherry barbs, and 5 Diamond Tertas and the one Catfish.

Next will be 5 rainbow fish and then last the two Angelfish.

Btw your advice has helped me move along my 29 gallon cycle. I am at day 24 and my nitrites are already cycling.

While I like the guide to a fishless cycle that was posted on here I think its flawed, I think when you start cycling Ammonia (4 ppm) a day, and Nitrites are dark purple you should back off like you suggest the Ammonia for a couple of days and do a water change or two giving the bacteria time to catch up, if I would have kept adding Ammonia like the guide said I think I would have still been cycling. It took my a total of 48 days to cycle my tank and at times I almost gave up.

Happy to help and congrats on your new fish! :)

The guide isn't necessarily flawed but its intended to be just a guide and not set in stone. Eco (who wrote the guide) actually walked me through the first time I decided to experiment with a fishless cycle (fishin in the past). The reality is, what works in one tank may not work next. Some will cycle by the book and others do not so different avenues need to be tried. My tank certainly did not cycle by the book and I have had fun experimenting since to figure out some alternatives to 'by the book' cycles.

Hope to see a few pics once your all stocked! :)

Back
Top Bottom