Did I add too much ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petrovius

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all need some questions answered if any body has the time I would greatly appreciate it. Just set up my 36 gallon bow front tank 3 days ago. I added API stress coat and API stress zyme when I first added the water. 2 days later I took a water sample to pet smart and had it analyzed. The readings were 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 5 nitrates and ph 6.5 . My water was crystal clear for the 1st 2 days but now is really cloudy . Is this normal and about how long will this last? The other thing I need advice on is that I started reading about fish less cycling which is what I want to do. I went and bought a API master freshwater test kit and pure ammonia with 10 % ammonium hydroxide from ace hardware which is supposedly the one you want to use according to a lot of people on here. I followed the link from fish less cycling for dummies. I have air pump running with air stone,heater is set to about 82 degrees aqua clear power filter 70 with all the medium it came with is running full flow and I completed the first step. I added 3 tsp of ammonia and when I tested it looked to be about 6 to 8 ppm. Along with the stress zyme from 3 days ago. Is this too much ammonia I added? Should I do something about it or should I just keep checking ammonia levels daily as per the cycling for dummies?

I think the ammonia should be around 4ppm. You can do a water change and probably get that down to where it needs to be. Also if the filter has carbon in it, make sure you take it out.

I added too much ammo to my tank, a 50% PWC brought it down to 4ppm. Anytime the ammo or no2/no3 gets too high, a PWC is best since high readings can stall your cycle. Don't worry about pH, it gets wacky duing the cycle anyways.

Just wanted to say that I did a 50% water cHange as recommended and my new ammonia reading looks lower appears to be real close to the 4 ppm. But why did someone recommend that I remove the carbon portion of my aqua clear filter. I did not remove it should I?

Back
Top Bottom