Did I just screw up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RRiley774

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I was doing some research on here recently and seen some info on how to upgrade my filter system to be more efficient and more economical in the long run. The tank and filter in concern is a recent 5.5 gallon setup that's been up and running for 6 weeks. I have two guppies and two RCS in the tank and they have really flourished in the set up. During my research I read that the carbon filter that comes standard in the set up loses it's effectiveness after a month or so but a good upgrade would be to but Fluval Biomax ceramic rings. Also it was suggested to buy Fluval Foam and cut to shape as it is thicker and provides much more filtration than the little 1/8 inch thick filter pad that comes standard. All of this makes perfect sense to me so I went out and bought the products from Fluval. I left the old pad in the filter along with the new foam pads. My concern is that I threw away the carbon filled filter and put in the Biomax rings. Did I just throw away all of my beneficial bacteria in the carbon filled filter and lose my cycle or is their enough in the tank and the old foam pad to keep my water and fish healthy?

So I was doing some research on here recently and seen some info on how to upgrade my filter system to be more efficient and more economical in the long run. The tank and filter in concern is a recent 5.5 gallon setup that's been up and running for 6 weeks. I have two guppies and two RCS in the tank and they have really flourished in the set up. During my research I read that the carbon filter that comes standard in the set up loses it's effectiveness after a month or so but a good upgrade would be to buy Fluval Biomax ceramic rings. Also it was suggested to buy Fluval Foam and cut to shape as it is thicker and provides much more filtration than the little 1/8 inch thick filter pad that comes standard. All of this makes perfect sense to me so I went out and bought the products made by Fluval. I left the old pad in the filter along with the new foam pads. My concern is that I I threw away the carbon filled filter and put in the Biomax rings. Did I just throw away all of my beneficial bacteria in the carbon filled filter and lose my cycle or is their enough in the tank and the old foam pad to keep my water and fish healthy?

You probably will be ok since you kept the old foam pad. Just feed lightly and watch your fish close as you might have a "mini-cycle". Where you have lots of bacteria, just not quite enough. In the future you can stick the old pad in the tank until your new one has had a chance to grow some bb goodness. Good luck.

I really wouldn't worry about it. Just check ammonia and nitrites tomorrow and if they are at 0 then you are good to go.

Bacteria grows everywhere in the tank. More so in the filter media yes, but still no need to worry. Those good guys are very much still around your joint

You probably lost a good portion, maybe half your bacteria, from the carbon. Did you fishless cycle the tank? Because if you did then you should be fine. BB can live for months, and will pop up at the mention of food. A fishless cycle will give you more than twice the amount of BB that you'll need.

***Update***

After listening to everyone on here as well as my LFS I felt pretty good about not losing my cycle. I monitored my water for several days straight with no changes. Last time I checked my water was two days ago. Everything was still where it should be. Then out of no where I come home today to find both of my Cherry shrimp dead. I immediately test my water as I knew something was up. My water sure enough had changed and giving me readings unlike I have seen in quite sometime. Here is what I have ...

Amm -- .25
Nitrites -- .25 ( I haven't seen nitrates in a long time )
Nitrates -- 10ppm

I immediately did about a 40% wc and also put prime in the tank. Fortunately all of the fish are fine but I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on why the sudden water change and what is to come next.
Thanks in advance!

Update***

After listening to everyone on here as well as my LFS I felt pretty good about not losing my cycle. I monitored my water for several days straight with no changes. Last time I checked my water was two days ago. Everything was still where it should be. Then out of no where I come home today to find both of my Cherry shrimp dead. I immediately test my water as I knew something was up. My water sure enough had changed and giving me readings unlike I have seen in quite sometime. Here is what I have ...

Amm -- .25

Nitrites -- .25 ( I haven't seen nitrates in a long time )

Nitrates -- 10ppm

I immediately did about a 40% wc and also put prime in the tank. Fortunately all of the fish are fine but I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on why the sudden water change and what is to come next.

Sounds like you are going through a mini-cycle and will need to watch params closely and do WCs to keep up your ammonia and nitrite levels down.

How long do mini cycles usually last? Checked my water again last night, still got amm and nitrites. Did another water change and dosed with prime again.

It'll take a few days for the bacterial colonies to reproduce enough to handle your fish's bioload, so keep checking and doing water changes as needed until ammonia and nitrite are back to 0 consistently. Hopefully it won't take long but keep an eye on it until things are back to normal.

Just wanted to check and make sure this is normal ... Did a water test again this morning before work and all my readings are steady on the rise. In fact the highest I've seen since my tank has been running.

Amm- .50ppm
Nitrites 2.0
Nitrates 20

I did a 50% water change and dosed with prime again. Will do another change tonight. Is this normal for my readings to be sky rocketing???

It's not surprising since you removed a component of your filter that undoubtedly had quite a few bacteria on it. Sounds like you've got a little ways to go but you've got a stronger colony of guys converting ammonia than nitrite so things are moving in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom