Did not cycle a planted freshwater tank – advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrettMad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have told some of the story of my journey to having a tank again in the new members area. Short version, had very small tanks/betas often on in previous decades. Could never keep fish alive more than a few months, but tanks were all very very small. Never cycled any of those previous tanks, never knew that I should, which probably is why I tended to lose the fish within 2 to 5 months.

Bought a new house two years ago and there was a huge 155 gallon bowfront tank built into one of the walls. It had been long empty and was at one time a saltwater tank.

I hired a couple who runs a local fish store, focused on saltwater, but who are hobbyists as well. The wife (Jennifer) was giddy at the thought of helping setting up a new freshwater planted tank.

We got everything set up including the first wave of plants. A week later the second wave of plants and 36 fish were added (14 tetra, 6 gold barbs, three different types of juvenile rainbowfish totaling 16 fish). At this point I got even more interested in this as an ongoing hobby and wanted to learn a lot more, mostly in an effort not to have wasted all the money setting up this beautiful tank. When reading I learned more about the nitrogen cycle and that according to both forums I was reading I may have made a fairly massive mistake. However, Jennifer seemed unconcerned and actually mentioned that without the plants we would not be adding fish anywhere near this soon.

Somewhat alarmed, particularly about hearing problems with local fish store employees, I went and got an API Master test kit today.

I put this in my introduction thread, but here are my current test results:
PH level – just above 7.0, possibly 7.1

Ammonia level – while not at 0 ppm it was closer to that than the next color bar which was 0.25 ppm

Nitrite level – exactly the same as above, while not at 0 ppm it was closer to 0 ppm then to the 0.25 ppm color

Nitrates – 5 ppm – this is the only one that had nearly a perfect color match.

Clearly, neither the ammonia nor the nitrate are at dangerous levels, although they are also not at zero. Could it be that the plants are absorbing ammonia and nitrites while the bacteria establishes itself in the canister in the canister media?

I am going to continue to test daily for the next couple weeks at least, but I would love any advice on what I should watch for or opinions on what happened here. Almost everything this couple did struck me as extraordinarily competent and they are hobbyists as well as owners of the store, so it seems odd that she would have gone with a path that was ultimately detrimental, but it is certainly at odds with everything I have read here and not another forum.

Quite possibly that the plants helped push along the cycle as they might have had beneficial bacteria they brought with them, and there are ways to speed up this process

However a week is all a decent tank needs for cycling. SO it appears the fish were added after a week.... So cycle must of completed. Plants are not affected by cycling as much, plants will use ammonia and convert it to nitrite or nitrate... for got which one. Now a extreme toxic environment of high ammonia might hurt the plants but a normal cycling without fish plants do well. By the weeks end your tank was ready to accept fish IMO

Today's test results:
temperature: 81°
pH: 7.0
ammonia: 0.20 (estimate, slightly darker than before, still not at the 0.25 level which is the lowest band on the test kit above zero.
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 3

We keep our house around 78°, and the heater in the tank is set at 77, so I am not entirely sure why the temperature went up to just over 80°. I have LED lights so they should not be adding that much heat. This is something I need to monitor.

PH level and nitrates both dropped a little, ammonia is maybe a trace higher. One of the confusing ones to me is the nitrates reading. My understanding is that number generally grows until it diluted by water change. However, I was also told that plants will absorb and utilize some of the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. I do not know how much, but it would appear at the moment that the plants are if nothing else keeping the nitrates steady.

I need more test results, this test was three days from the first test. I waited until today because my daughter wanted to participate (she is 10). I think will test every other day for the next week or two to see if we have a baseline or if this is still a moving target.

Do you know what type of filtration is on the tank? I wonder if they added seeded media to the filter. Did they test the water at any point before stocking it?
Good thing you ordered a test kit. You're on the right track, keep checking the ammonia and nitrite levels.

*Plants do absorb nitrate.

Last edited:
However a week is all a decent tank needs for cycling. SO it appears the fish were added after a week.... So cycle must of completed.

Plants are not affected by cycling as much, plants will use ammonia and convert it to nitrite or nitrate... for got which one.

A tank can be considered "cycled" in a week, or instantly, if the filter contains enough nitrifying bacteria to support the bioload, but that hasn't been established here.

Plants absorb nitrate, however do not convert ammonia to nitrite or nitrate.

I think, although I am not absolutely certain, she did some checks of the water when she arrived for stage two where she added the remaining plants and the fish. Things were a little chaotic then and I was not able to watch everything she did (I was watching because I was highly interested and wanted to learn).

Remembering back to when she and her husband were here for the first stage and they set up the canister, I do remember her adding media to a canister and I seem to remember it coming from a plastic bag that included some liquid, which means it may have come from one of her personal tanks. Again, this was several weeks ago and it was something I was not watching as closely because I did not realize what was happening at that point. When I see her next week I am going to ask a few of these questions!

I think, although I am not absolutely certain, she did some checks of the water when she arrived for stage two where she added the remaining plants and the fish. Things were a little chaotic then and I was not able to watch everything she did (I was watching because I was highly interested and wanted to learn).

Remembering back to when she and her husband were here for the first stage and they set up the canister, I do remember her adding media to a canister and I seem to remember it coming from a plastic bag that included some liquid, which means it may have come from one of her personal tanks. Again, this was several weeks ago and it was something I was not watching as closely because I did not realize what was happening at that point. When I see her next week I am going to ask a few of these questions!

If they are as experienced as you say I'm sure they added seeded media. Check to see if you get an ammonia reading out of your tap water.

By the way...I'm so jealous you guys inherited such a huge, built in tank!!! I can't wait to see a gorgeous planted tank when you're done! :)

Wow! It already looks great! I read through most of the thread and my only question now is..why RO water?

I know they strongly advised against the tap water around here, not hundred percent sure why. As far as the water goes I am just following their advice at the moment, I have to learn more about the reasons behind the advice on Jennifer's next visit.

Back
Top Bottom