Difference between Freshwater and Brackish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieKeeper429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm kind of confused about this. What exactly is the difference between a Freshwater Tank and a Brackish???

I'm kind of confused about this. What exactly is the difference between a Freshwater Tank and a Brackish???

Brackish is slightly salted. If you imagine a stream or river, it's fresh water, as it nears the sea, some of that salt water gets mixed in with the fresh water and that is called brackish. Hope that helps.

Brackish is slightly salted. If you imagine a stream or river, it's fresh water, as it nears the sea, some of that salt water gets mixed in with the fresh water and that is called brackish. Hope that helps.

That helps a lot :) thanks!

Fresh & Brackish Water

Hello Fish...

Freshwater has no trace of natural salt. Brackish water has a measurable amount of salt.

B

brackish water is found in the estuary, the junction between body of freshwater and the sea/ocean. brackish water has higher salinity than river/lake/pond but lower salinity level than the sea/ocean. estuary is the breeding ground for a lot of fish. IMO, it's better off if you go full pledge freshwater or saltwater. the selection of brackish fish is limited. just my two cents.

brackish water is found in the estuary, the junction between body of freshwater and the sea/ocean. brackish water has higher salinity than river/lake/pond but lower salinity level than the sea/ocean. estuary is the breeding ground for a lot of fish. IMO, it's better off if you go full pledge freshwater or saltwater. the selection of brackish fish is limited. just my two cents.

Ok :) what kinds of fish ARE brackish?

Ok :) what kinds of fish ARE brackish?

Mollys do better in brackish water some say, but can live in both. Certain puffers live in brackish. There isn't many, those are the only 2 I have read about on this forum and I have been here for almost a year now.

Most live bearers can handle brackish water. Unless you get a very large tank, the options are really limited. If you are doing a small tank with just live bearers, I wouldn't do it, it's not worth the work. I would rather save up the money and do a full fledged SW tank.
Brackish is more work than SW, too. You have to change the salinity by a bit everyday, it's not supposed to be kept stable.

dragon goby, mono sebae/argentus, some eels, flounders, green spot puffers, marble goby, etc.

the selection is very small though

So pretty much either go SW or FW? Brackish is just a waste of money and time?

i don't want to say yes or no cuz i don't want to offend people who keep brackish tanks. but it doesn't attract me enough to keep one. i have 4 tanks and none of them is brackish, just to put into perspective

i don't want to say yes or no cuz i don't want to offend people who keep brackish tanks. but it doesn't attract me enough to keep one. i have 4 tanks and none of them is brackish, just to put into perspective

Ok :) thanks so much for your honest opinion!

Sorry for stealing this topic...but if you were to do brackish, is it sea or aquarium salt you are supposed to use?
I've heard it both ways, and am assuming you all know much better than the sources I've read it from lol

Sorry for stealing this topic...but if you were to do brackish, is it sea or aquarium salt you are supposed to use?
I've heard it both ways, and am assuming you all know much better than the sources I've read it from lol

it's actually the marine/sea salt because we're trying to mimic the natural environment of the estuary. Aquarium salt lacks the essential minerals that marine/sea salt has.

others simply suggest aquarium salt because it's not apparent whether the fish actually enjoy the aquarium salt or not. if the fish swims and eats people assume the fish is happy. a responsible/knowledgeable hobbyist tries to mimic the natural environment the fish came from, thus marine salt is the choice to go

Back
Top Bottom