Dinosaur Bichir tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dotswithchemicals

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'll be getting a 55 gallon tank in a month or so and I've been admiring the bichirs.. and I was wondering if mollies and other medium sized fish I could put with him if I'm able to get one?

I know that I would be housing mollies and 1 red tail shark. Would the dinosaur bichir get so big that he'd eat the mollies?

dotswithchemicals said:
I'll be getting a 55 gallon tank in a month or so and I've been admiring the bichirs.. and I was wondering if mollies and other medium sized fish I could put with him if I'm able to get one?

I know that I would be housing mollies and 1 red tail shark. Would the dinosaur bichir get so big that he'd eat the mollies?

I've been wanting an albino bichir, but he's a carnivore so yes he'd eat that molly.

I've had two Senegal Bichits for over 6 months now. They're both about 9 inches long.

I have had them with 2 three spot gouramis, 2 angels, 6 tiger barbs and 2 rainbows. They were living together in 55 gallon.

Recently I moved everything to a 75 gal and added 2 high-fin mollies (large about 4 inches long) and 2 swordtails (large at about 4 inches long but more slender)

In 3 hours, one of the swordtails is digesting in diver's (one of my bichirs) tummy and parts of the other two mollies (They were too big to swallow) is digesting in rocker's (My other bichir) tummy.

They have occasionally tried to catch my Rainbows but they are just way too fast for those near-blind bichirs.
The Mollies are slow clumsy creatures and so are swordtails.

My advice.

Do not put anything with bichirs smaller than 6 inches that is not fast enough.
My angels are slow but the Bichirs respect them cause even though they are **** in a physical confrontation they look big.
The gouramis are 6 inches so they get left alone. (NEVER been harassed)
Those little punk barbs are too quick for them too.

So yeah, either speed or 6+ inches.

Hi i have had loads of Bichirs over the years and never had any problems with them:) I have only ever lost one fish to them. I read a good article the other day and agree with most of what was said.
Bichirs are slow clumsy predators but will hunt food down if they think they can eat it!
They like some cover - plants, rocks, wood.
Water chemistry isn't to much of a problem as long as extremes are avoided.
Tank mates - Add the bichirs last,anything added after they have been added is simply looked on as food unless its way to big or fast!
Feeding them is simple. Mine loves algae wafers :eek:

Here's a photo of mine a polypterus Delhizi:)

Attachments

• quasi 3 (Large).jpg
    quasi 3 (Large).jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 5,118
  • quasi head 1 (Large).jpg
    quasi head 1 (Large).jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 708
Back
Top Bottom