disapearing act

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive been cycleing with shrimp. The ammo got up to four and i tested nitrite about a week and a half ago. And for the past week the ammo has been 6+ppm. I have been to busy to change it. Now i did a pwc and its down to 2-3 and no nitrites. I didnt test before i did the pwc but am i cycled or did i kill the nitrite with the amount of ammo?

What's up Momo? I don't think there's any way you're cycled yet I'd have to check our old thread to remember the dates...but it's too quick. Did you ever have nitrItes?

I probably linked it to you before...but read the article in my signature. It'll explain what's going on. If you posted on your other thread, I must have missed it. I haven't been on here much recently. Shoot me a message if the article doesn't explain everything.

eco23 said:
What's up Momo? I don't think there's any way you're cycled yet I'd have to check our old thread to remember the dates...but it's too quick. Did you ever have nitrItes?

Its been over three weeks i beleive

eco23 said:
Has it been that long already? What are your full parameters? Ammo / nitrItes / nitrAtes / pH?
Ammo is around 3. Nitrites are zero now. No idea on nitrates... My water comes with nitrates in it. And also ph is always between 7.4.and 8

We've gotta find out what your nitrAtes are to determine where you are in your cycle. The 2 possibilities are that you stalled at some point and that's why ammo isn't at 0 with the nitrItes. The other possibilities are that you're getting bad readings. You've gotta get an API test kit if at all possible.

It's odd for the nitrItes to drop to 0 before the ammo. I've gotta run out for a bit, but I'll check back later. See about getting some accurate readings...and we've gotta find the nitrAte level.

eco23 said:
We've gotta find out what your nitrAtes are to determine where you are in your cycle. The 2 possibilities are that you stalled at some point and that's why ammo isn't at 0 with the nitrItes. The other possibilities are that you're getting bad readings. You've gotta get an API test kit if at all possible.

It's odd for the nitrItes to drop to 0 before the ammo. I've gotta run out for a bit, but I'll check back later. See about getting some accurate readings...and we've gotta find the nitrAte level.

But remember, im cycling with shrimp so there is a constant ammo source.

momo said:
But remember, im cycling with shrimp so there is a constant ammo source.

That shouldn't have an impact. In fact, that should build a large ammo > nitrIte colony first.

eco23 said:
That shouldn't have an impact. In fact, that should build a large ammo > nitrIte colony first.

Well thats why the ammo is not 0 before the nitrites are 0 because its inpossible ammonto be zero

momo said:
Well thats why the ammo is not 0 before the nitrites are 0 because its inpossible ammonto be zero

No it's not. That's the point of cycling. It constantly converts the ammo and keeps it at 0. You might have really low levels with a constant source, but when the tank cycles it stays at 0. Try taking out the shrimp for 24 hours and retest ammo.

Remember that fish put out a constant ammo source. By doing a fishless cycle, you're putting an ammonia source in their place so that the bacteria can handle it when you replace the shrimp with fish.

eco23 said:
No it's not. That's the point of cycling. It constantly converts the ammo and keeps it at 0. You might have really low levels with a constant source, but when the tank cycles it stays at 0. Try taking out the shrimp for 24 hours and retest ammo.

Alright. Will do. But where didnthe nitrites go? And i have about 10 ppm nitrate

Momo, I love you man...but re-read my article in my signature again. Ammo turns to nitrIte, then nitrIte turns to nitrAte. By cycling your tank...you make enough bacteria so that it is constantly converting the ammo and keeping your levels of ammo and nitrIte at 0.

If you've got 10ppm nitrAte, you're probably near the end. Take out the shrimp and test in 24 hours. Post what you find and we'll go from there :).

eco23 said:
Hey Momo, how's it going? Any changes?

Ammo went down but not near enough. What happened to the nitrites?!?

Maybe the left over shrimp like... Gel... Is producing ammo still...

momo said:
Ammo went down but not near enough. What happened to the nitrites?!?

Maybe the left over shrimp like... Gel... Is producing ammo still...

It's possible that the nitrIte to nitrAte bacteria is up and running, but the ammo to nitrIte bacteria stalled. Do a 50% pwc, drop a new shrimp in and keep going. When you can hold the ammo and nitrItes at 0 constantly...you'll be cycled. Remember that having the shrimp in there are a simulated version of having fish. If you have shrimp in there, and it's still showing ammo and nitrItes...the cycle is still going and not done.

Back
Top Bottom