Discus tank underway!!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
siva said:
OK great! And also, how long have those cories been at 87? That suprised me that they are tolerating that. I've seen cories get obviously uncomfortable at higher temps.

6 months. All are still alive and are eating healthy. I have Amano shrimp, GBR and an electric blue gourami. It's all about water changes. You can go a little over stock.

Here are some pics of some of my discus. Last 2 are my pairs with eggs on the cone.

Attachments

• image-3180928206.jpg
    image-3180928206.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1260300935.jpg
    image-1260300935.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2628084654.jpg
    image-2628084654.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1228285849.jpg
    image-1228285849.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image-2379089635.jpg
    image-2379089635.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 103
Rummies will be fine at those temps. Not positive about red phantoms. I have actually heard some horror stories about red phantoms fighting among themselves and eating out each other's eye when you don't get the proper gender ratio. I have rummies though, and they will be awesome. I know other peopel who keep them with discus because they are so peaceful and they do fine at the temps required for discus.

I'd buy 6 the first time then if you want to add more, you can add a few more. 1, 2 or 6 more. It's up to you. I started with only 6 and been adding one or two every month now I have 30+. always quarantine your new discus first before adding it with your other discus.

roydooms said:
I'd buy 6 the first time then if you want to add more, you can add a few more. 1, 2 or 6 more. It's up to you. I started with only 6 and been adding one or two every month now I have 30+. always quarantine your new discus first before adding it with your other discus.

Okay, what if i don't have a quarantine tank?? Lol

DanS180 said:
Okay, what if i don't have a quarantine tank?? Lol

Then I wouldn't add more after the initial purchase. You'd risk getting your discus sick if the new ones have parasites, flukes, etc. With discus, losing only one hurts your wallet big time. I'll PM you the site. This is a discus only site and some people have been taking care of discus for over 15+ years.

roydooms said:
Then I wouldn't add more after the initial purchase. You'd risk getting your discus sick if the new ones have parasites, flukes, etc. With discus, losing only one hurts your wallet big time. I'll PM you the site. This is a discus only site and some people have been taking care of discus for over 15+ years.

So you really think I should buy em all at the same time???

The way I see it, there's just NO way you can run a 180 gal tank w/o a QT. What are you going to do if someone needs a hospital tank? And not QT such expensive fish before adding them to the DT?!...no way. Roydooms..what size QT would you recommend?

Yea you need a qt. A small tank shouldn't cost very much, but it needs its own heater and you can run a small filter for it on your main tank and that's all it needs.

DanS180 said:
So you really think I should buy em all at the same time???

I'd buy 6 first. You'd want your BB to catch up. It's the best idea to have a QT tank. You need to QT any other fish that you'll add in your DT.

I have a 40gB QT. You can quarantine 5(max) discus at a time. The Smaller the QT the less discus you can put. I wouldn't go smaller than 20g(max 3 young adults).

Last edited:
roydooms said:
I have a 40gB QT. You can quarantine 5(max) discus at a time. The Smaller the QT the less discus you can put. I wouldn't go smaller than 20g(max 3 young adults).

Okay thanks Roydooms!! Ill look into getting a smaller tank! Just a little tight with somewhere to put it lol

DanS180 said:
Okay thanks Roydooms!! Ill look into getting a smaller tank! Just a little tight with somewhere to put it lol

YW. 10g QT, IMO, is ok if you're using it to treat 1 discus.

I have clown plecos with my discus. No problems. I keep mine at 84, feed frozen bloodworms, beefheart, discus formula, and mysis three times a day, water changes twice a week. Buy at least six initially. I also have rummy nose and cories. They're great tank mates. I've have my discus for almost a year now. Any questions just ask :)

Back
Top Bottom