DIY decor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been thinking about tackling some DIY decorations for my tank. I'm really wanting to go for a natural look. I really like how driftwood looks, but I don't have any near me, and I was thinking of maybe going out in my back yard and finding a good root or something to put in my tank, maybe even a hollow log or something, or find a few good size sticks/small logs to stack together or something. So what kind of things can you actually put in an aquarium and kind of supplies are aquarium safe to use?

this article may help you out

Introduction to Adding Natural Decor to an Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

There is also a great DIY forum on here with lots of ideas. Sculpey is an aquarium safe clay type material that you can use to make your own caves and such. You can also get aquarium safe silicone which you can use as a glue to stick things like slate together to make decor without the risk of it falling over

I also love the natural look in aquariums. :) I personally love rocks. i have a setup now using some round river rocks, slate and flagstone. I would love some driftwood but i cant find any near by and it is too expensive in stores. I would not reccomend getting branches or roots from your backyard because 1. they probably wont sink and 2. you run the risk of it being contaminated with fertilizer or plant spray. A fishtank safe adhesive i have used to actually seal a tank before is GE Silicone 1 Window and Door.

I really love rocks and if you find any suitable ones in rivers or even in your yard just make sure to scrub and boil them.

Hopefully to give you some inspiration here is a picture of my rock decor.

Attachments

• image-346734170.jpg
    image-346734170.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 93
FishFanatic88 said:
I would love some driftwood but i cant find any near by and it is too expensive in stores.

Hate to get off topic here but FishFanatic, clear out your pm box I have an idea for you and can't send you message because your box is full.
To the OP, fresh cut sticks etc. are not always a good idea in an aquarium because they could leech toxins into the tank. Do you have a creek, river, or body of water near you?

Not on my own land, but my best friend has a creek and pond near her.

I got my own driftwood from a local lake. It actually supplies the cities water. lol. Same with my slate actually. I just could not justify the cost of driftwood in store.

butterfly_koi said:
Hate to get off topic here but FishFanatic, clear out your pm box I have an idea for you and can't send you message because your box is full.
To the OP, fresh cut sticks etc. are not always a good idea in an aquarium because they could leech toxins into the tank. Do you have a creek, river, or body of water near you?

Just cleared my box and am open to some suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom