DIY Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SolusUmbra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just a small 5 gallon fish tank that I would like to put back into use, but not looking forward to the expense of filters. That was until I couldn't find my old filter system at all. So I started looking around the web for a DIY filter and came a-crossed this one;

I was wondering however, since the biggest store we have is walmart, is what can I use instead of the ceramic rings?

If anyone has any advice that would be great or any other/better Ideas for a filter.

You can order online, a new filter or media. I have been liking Matrix made by Seachem Seachem - Matrix That is an easy way to make a filter, but not that attractive. You can order an active BB sponge filter from Angels Plus too, instant active system with a light load of stock.

Some use scrubby pads or bulk media filter cut in chunks. Problem is, there are better media surfaces which offer larger surface area for growing BB, with a smaller volume of media, like Matrix or a bunch of other similar items.

Sometimes it is fun to try a new way of doing something and inexpensive too.

As a side note about buying things from a store (a dollar store can have a good deal or the store you mentioned), think that they sometimes do pest control spraying and use cleaners to wipe fixtures, and chemicals to clean and wax floors.

So I try and get stock from the stores which isn't at the edge of the display, or looks like it is in a space which is a newly opened box behind the box in front, and not near the floor level when possible. Rinse items after cutting and handling at home and soak in Prime water for 15 min.

I almost feel overwhelmed in the past I would just toss a filter in and go with it. I looked at the sponge filter and they want more to ship it then it cost, which means I normally wouldn't think about buying one. The matrix has no local stores and no where on their site that I saw to order anything, and reading some of the stuff off their sites was way over my head.
And hmm... what is BB

You can order the Matrix from retail stores, lots of online stores are having specials - so one may be cheaper with shipping from one vendor or there may be a minimum purchase for free shipping from another. (so always check the cost plus shipping price to make sure it is the best value).

Sorry, didn't mean to throw out too much at you!

BB is beneficial bacteria. Check out the article in my signature for getting started. It goes into the nitrification cycle which is the process for a BB colony to keep your tank in best condition for dealing with food and waste break down. It is a very useful review of the process of the working aquarium. There are other links included for other articles which are so helpful as well.

Have you though about what fish you are wanting for the tank?

I normally have a beta and tetras but I want something different this time around so I was thinking goldfish.

HAHA 90G your funny. I don't like the fancy ones, I just want the plain jane .50 cent ones.
But if my tank is to small then its back to beta and tetras.

Plain jane ones get to be up to 18 inches long!!! But not in a 5G.

There are nano fish choices and dwarf shrimp, and maybe a couple other interesting options.

I'm getting way off my original posting reason. Can't worry about fish if I can't set up a filter.

Yes, best to get a filter in order, but also in selecting the type of fish will help to know if you need lots of filtration or smaller amount. Also based on amount you would be feeding say tiny shrimp or regular fish.

Say a pair of smaller Killifish, Freshwater Peapuffer (can be a messy feeder,) Pygmy Sunfish.

I will leave it at that.

The scrubby pads or bulk filter media (even volcanic rock /pumice stone) will work in the bottle, but will have less surface than the ceramic pieces, and less than the Matrix and similar products (have higher amount of surface for BB).

You do have a point. At least I know the Beta can survive the trip home (from experience) from the "local" fish store, about an hour drive. I know the bottle wont look pretty but I want fish. lol

You can cover the bottle with some DW /driftwood or stem plants or a tall rock, lol, not a big problem.

Traveling with fish isn't a big issue if you keep it from getting too warm next to a heater or too cold A/C or no heater. A dark bag (shirt even) to keep the fish calm. Ask for it to be double bagged to help prevent leaking.

Maybe a snail too.

I hate snails, I like the algee eating fish can’t think of what they are called. I really like ghost shrimp but I always had problems keeping them alive and the wrong set up for baby ones to repopulate. The longest living one I ever had, had a rock in him! Haha and I’m back off my post again.

Oh if and when I can get my hands on some lava rocks or rings or whatever how long does the tank need to run before fish are added?

Small size should be great, you want to turn over the water 5-10 times per hour. Heck if you can fit the 11" larger one in the tank, it provides 2x the media and clean water helps with healthy fish. And its about $2 more and you could always use it in a 10G tank or larger (anyway, a good value!)

Sadly I measured my tank is only 9inches high. Could I always replace one of the sponges with more material if need be? Also I wouldn't need to replace anything right, just rinse them off from time to time?

I was wondering however, since the biggest store we have is walmart, is what can I use instead of the ceramic rings?

Lava rock, found in the grilling section of Walmart. Break it up into smaller pieces and put it in a media bag, or a nylon stocking cut down to size.

Do I need air running through it or just hang it in the tank? Do I need to clean it from time to time?

Yes air helps move water through it which will give dirty tank water to the BB in the chosen media (which for the sake of ease includes lava rock, scrubbies, bulk filter pad, etc.)

The link in my signature will walk you through the steps of cycling the tank and what cycling is and does. If you have a test kit you can go "fish-in" cycle but requires extensive attention with tests and water changes to keep from killing fish.

There are two articles about fish in cycling too.
Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Fishless should be with no plants (no need for lighting then) 4-6 weeks if you keep the temp up like it says and keep up the ammonia feeding, hopeful for the 4-5 weeks.
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom