DIY LED lights as grow lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jferrante

Aquarium Advice Activist
First question is if I could get LED lights that are capable of producing the right kind of light that could work as grow lights. I've did a rough search and found some results on "LED Grow lights" but haven't looked too much into it yet. I figured I'd start here where some of you might have some insight on using them in an aquarium.

My goal is to hopefully just buy an LED light strip that could provide the right kind of light and possibly have color settings (more of a bonus but not necessary) and put it in an acrylic tube or something and waterproof it. I just want to see if I can make it cheaper than the typical cost. I already have a dual 48 inch flourecent light but it just isn't as appealing as LEDs and it's not made for aquariums so it sketches me out a bit. I'm not a fan of them because they flicker and generally cause eye trouble and I figure that might also effect the fish and they also can cost a bit to run compared to LEDs. I only need Moderate - Low light and even then I get a decent amount of diffused light during the day with about an hour of direct sunlight on a part of the tank depending on the season and weather.
Any experience with this concept would be nice :)

Finnex fixtures are really good and affordable. Either a planted plus or ray 2 would be right up your alley.

Back
Top Bottom