Do Clams add to your Bioload?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I was thinking of adding my four remaining clam to my 12g nanocube tank because I think the UV on my 55g is starving them out. I have already lost two. I only will do it though if the clams don't count towards the Bioload, because if they do it will overstock my 12g. They basically just filter the water all day, right? Thanks.

im sure they add to the bioload but maybe lower it? i think theres tiny food partiacl particals that will break down into ammonia. the clams eat it, poop, therefore less ammonia.

im guessing on this one, but it sounds right

There poop would add to the bio-load while the way they feed would take away.. I think they would take away from the O2 more than they would effect the bio-load.. If you had them in your planted nano-cube I would say no.. In your 55 I would say yes sort of.. JMO though..

I think I figured out the problem, my 304 was clogged. The gph was way down, so not only was the water underfiltered, but my UV had crazy dwell time with my water so it was completely sterilizing it, so the clams had no food.

I think that all inverts contribute very minimally to bioload. Most of the pollution generated by fish comes in the form of liquid nitrogenous waste - urine. Inverts do produce nitrogenous wastes, but in much smaller amounts per unit of body-mass than fish do.

Clams don't move around too much either, and have much slower metabolisms than fish. I think they'll stand a better chance in the 12 gallon, if you can keep them supplied with green water.

They were good for about 2 months in the 55g before my filter got clogged, so I think I will put two in the 12g and leave two in the 55g.

Back
Top Bottom