Do discus make good solo fish? Minimum tank size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aphone

Aquarium Advice Activist
What do you say regarding this? Thanks in advance

They sure do make excellent species only members....
A pretty big tank as in 75 g ++ IMO.
Also the # you get is pretty important.
They establish a pecking order that unless paired requires a small colony IMO...
You really need to know where your discus come from also.
I would not buy from LFS since I know breeders...

They sure do make excellent species only members....
A pretty big tank as in 75 g ++ IMO.
Also the # you get is pretty important.
They establish a pecking order that unless paired requires a small colony IMO...
You really need to know where your discus come from also.
I would not buy from LFS since I know breeders...

What if i just want one? Min tan?

Maybe ill just get another betta bowl, my betta now is doing well. His place has a filter and heater

Virtually all freshwater tropical fish are much happier is schools or shoals. I actually think it verges on cruel to keep only one fish of a species. They live in groups and interact with each other. Why keep one of a kind? Besides, they are much more attractive in groups, I think. And discus are not for beginners. I have four in one tank and six in another and they are happy and healthy because they are shy fish and are more comfortable in a group.

The only fish I can think of that seem to do well in small tanks by themselves are Bettas and goldfish. That said, anything less than two gallons is too small. Water chemistry and temperature can change much too fast in small tanks.

I've seen some gorgeous discus- only tanks, and the people who have them give them meticulous care.

Smaller puffer fish prefer to be alone with delicious molluscs and crustaceans. I think they can be in tanks as small as about 10 gallons. A member here has a lovely 9 gallon with a dwarf puffer. However, puffers also have very specific dietary and water quality needs.

I actually think it verges on cruel to keep only one fish of a species.

We have a dwarf gourami, and, from what I've read, they don't want too much company. They do, however, need a decent sized tank. Ours is in our community tank, and he's a total diva.

Discus will just die by themselves and at least 55gallon for a grow out tank for juvies and 75++ gallon for the main tank

Back
Top Bottom