Do I need an airstone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mottoman216

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, just finished cycling my 55g community tank and bought my first batch of fish. 6 Cory cats. Plan on going with 12-15 cories, 25 neon tetras and possibly a pair or 2 of dwarf gouramis by the time I am done adding them in small batches over time.

Question: I am using x2 fluval aquaclear HOB filters. Will that be enough water displacement to avoid getting an airstone? They seem to move A lot of water. I hate the sight of airstones and want to avoid getting one if possible. Let me know what you guys/gals think?

Fyi - this is my first time in the hobby so I'm pretty excited but I want to be sure nothing will die.

Imo would be ok - as long as the water surface is being moved (even slowly) so as to promote air exchange and stop biofilm forming on top of water.

Hello Motto...

A couple of things: Gouramis are aggressive fish. Tetras are small. Not a good combination. As for air stones, they add oxygen to the tank and drive off CO2. So, this is a good situation for fish, but not for aquatic plants. If you're an aggressive water changer and remove and replace at least half the tank weekly, you don't need an air stone. The large, frequent water changes will keep a good level of oxygen in the tank water.

B

Hello Motto...

A couple of things: Gouramis are aggressive fish. Tetras are small. Not a good combination. As for air stones, they add oxygen to the tank and drive off CO2. So, this is a good situation for fish, but not for aquatic plants. If you're an aggressive water changer and remove and replace at least half the tank weekly, you don't need an air stone. The large, frequent water changes will keep a good level of oxygen in the tank water.

B

Hello and thanks for the reply. I plan on only doing 25% weekly water changes. I decided to throw an air stone in anyway just to be safe. I was told at the pet store that dwarf gouramis were typically friendly and get along well with other non aggressive fish. did she lie to me? instead of gouramis what if i get 2 male Black or Dalmatian mollies instead? they look nice at my local petshop. any stocking ideas would be appreciated.

Edit - is it normal for the corys to take turns going into the bubbles and letting it take them up to the surface? they seem to be huddled around the airstone and taking turns riding the bubbles lol.

Motto...

A 25 percent water change isn't nearly enough. To keep fish healthy, you need to change half the water weekly. If you're not there, then change a little more every week until you reach that amount. The more water you change and the more often you do it, the better. Mollies are territorial and can be aggressive if fish swim into their area of the tank. Platys or Sword tails are a better choice for a "community" tank.

B

Motto...

A 25 percent water change isn't nearly enough. To keep fish healthy, you need to change half the water weekly. If you're not there, then change a little more every week until you reach that amount. The more water you change and the more often you do it, the better. Mollies are territorial and can be aggressive if fish swim into their area of the tank. Platys or Sword tails are a better choice for a "community" tank.

B

Okay, I'll up the water change to 50% on a weekly basis. I might just copy my friends 55 gallon tank he has 8 Cory's and 12 tiger Barb's and they get a long quite well. I understand Tiger Barb's can be a bit aggressive/curious so I'll add them in last and make sure my Cory's have plenty of hiding places. Worst case scenario I can return the Barb's and try something else according to the fish compatibility chart. Thanks for the help guys.

Edit - may have added the 6 Cory's in too soon. I've had them for 4 days and only fed them twice since buying them and according to my tetra 6 test strips it's showing a slight hint of nitrites. It's suppose to be white for zero nitrites but when I checked today it had the faintest bit of pink showing. I'll end up doing 50% water change today, another 50% tomorrow. Cut back on feeding for now and use some stress coat/stress zyme during the water changes and check again. Apparently 1.5months cycle isn't enough or maybe I added too many fish at once? I hope they survive, they appear to be loving the tank, swimming around together, no heavy breathing or anything that would indicate that they are stressed.

Back
Top Bottom