Do I need an algae eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoFishingAllowed

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does every tank 'need' one? I have a 37 gallon with 3 silver mollies, 3 dalmation mollies, and 2 fancy guppies. I havent had any issues with algae, but the lady at petsmart said "you are going to need one sooner or later, every tank needs one" :ermm:

NoFishingAllowed said:
Oh ok, so get the algae tablets? Sorry for the dumb questions lol

Sure! But I'm not sure if they have all that much algae in there, from remembering some threads a couple weeks back I think vegetables are a better option for algae eaters.

There's a misconception about algae eating fish that they must have algae to survive and it's really not true. Otos and the vegetarian plecos are often munching on the microflora/microfauna in the biofilm on the tank surfaces, that's why you could have massive green spot algae or diatoms in the tank and it looks like sometimes they are totally oblivious to it and munching away at a clear spot on the tank glass.

I like to look at them more as vegetarian/grazing fish and no, they aren't a necessity for any tank unless you really want them.

There's a misconception about algae eating fish that they must have algae to survive and it's really not true. Otos and the vegetarian plecos are often munching on the microflora/microfauna in the biofilm on the tank surfaces, that's why you could have massive green spot algae or diatoms in the tank and it looks like sometimes they are totally oblivious to it and munching away at a clear spot on the tank glass.

I like to look at them more as vegetarian/grazing fish and no, they aren't a necessity for any tank unless you really want them.

:thanks: I think I might get one anyways. My boys think they are the coolest things in the world since the girl at Petsmart showed them.

I'd go with a bristlenose pleco (not available at petsmart, I think) or a few otocinclus. Be sure to pick out the ones that are healthy looking, grouped with others, and have rounded stomachs.

Ask them for the L number for the pleco if that is what you are wanting every pleco has a number associated with it since there are so many of them a common bristlenose is L107 . Before getting a pleco doing a little research will help PlanetCatfish • the online home of aquarium catfishes

If you go with oto cats get a few they do better in groups and feed them when you first get them since they are wild caught and probably haven't eaten properly for days or weeks. I feed mine blanched broccoli.

Also mollies are great algae eaters, as well I have thought of acclimating a couple to full saltwater 1.025 SG for one of my tanks.

Well, after talking to the guy at the lfs (NOT petsmart!) I decided on a cory catfish instead.

i often put cucumber in the tank and the plecs,guppies and platys etc love it i use weights on it to stop it from floating round the tank, hope this helps

NoFishingAllowed said:
So, just once a day, a slice of zucchini?

After 24 hours if there's any left overs I scoop it out. It gets mushy and beaks down.

Usually twice a week. And on other days I'll throw in 1/2 an algae tab to supplement the algae already in the tank. Although if there's a bit in there and i haven't cleaned it out in a bit I don't bother with the algae tabs

Also mollies are great algae eaters, as well I have thought of acclimating a couple to full saltwater 1.025 SG for one of my tanks.

my friends does that in his sw set up!!! specially towards the end or the cycling process, if u got anemones ur mollies will be eaten they dont know to stay away from them that happened to 5 mollies my friend had!!!!

your mollies will eat the algae !

algae is a small part of their regular diet.

they will eat pretty much anything

no tank "needs" an algae eater, unless you really dont want to scrub the algae of the walls inside the tank yourself... they really are back-savers :)

and considering plecos get 20in minimum full growth, you may just want to go with a couple snails, i'd recomend 3 or 4. And if there is no algae for them to eat, don't worry, they also eat fish food :)

Back
Top Bottom