Do Lava Rocks do anything ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought that over time they absorbed nitrates? And helped to raise the pH? But maybe I am thinking of something different.

If you look under the usernames on the side there are little scale things. You can click them to add to someone's reputation. The green squares under your number of posts represents how much good rep you have basically. There is a link on it somewhere around here but I don't know where lol.

To see who gave you rep you can go to your user cp and scroll down to the bottom. there will be a box there showing you who gave you rep for what.

I've spent so much money on those things and I think I'm actually only using one. What I didn't think about when I bought them is, they are sharp! You know how most of them come with a hole in the middle? Once I had a goldie who was sick and actually dying, but for some reason she got stuck inside the hole and I had to pop her out! When she came out of the hole, a bunch of scales came flying off, like metallic rain. Also, you can't use them with bettas because they snag the fins, I can't use them with my african dwarf frogs because they have such sensitive skin and I'm afraid to use them with my bristlenose plecos because I'm afraid they will hurt their mouths.

I've heard that after a while, denitrifying bacteria grow inside the lava rock's crevices that also reduce nitrAtes. No idea if it's true, but they look cool anyways.

I've heard that after a while, denitrifying bacteria grow inside the lava rock's crevices that also reduce nitrAtes. No idea if it's true, but they look cool anyways.

I guess that would make sense, huh? Lots of little spaces for biobugs to grow.

Back
Top Bottom