Do nitrites have to be 0 before the cycle is done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jm667

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in about 6 of cycling a 50 gallon tank, and over the past few days I have been adding about 1 tsp of ammonia each day as it goes down to about .25-.5 each day, but the nitrite has been at 1.0 for the past few days. I also am getting nitrates. Are the nitrites supposed to go down to 0 and do they stay there once it is cycled? Should I measure the ammonia levels after I add more to the tank to see what it goes up to, and how fast it goes down?

after 24 hours of adding ammonia at 3ppm and both hitting zero do a large wc and add fish.

I also just cycled my 50 gallon tank in just over 3 weeks, but I was adding quite a bit more ammonia. Almost 12ml to get my reading to 3ppm then they would go down to 0ppm each night. If you don't add enough ammonia your bacteria colony can die before you add the fish. You should try to keep it up around 2-3ppm and have it go down to 0ppm each day. You have to keep adding the ammonia at this level until your tank is cycled and you add your fish. Then your nitirites should spike.

I also just cycled my 50 gallon tank in just over 3 weeks, but I was adding quite a bit more ammonia. Almost 12ml to get my reading to 3ppm then they would go down to 0ppm each night. If you don't add enough ammonia your bacteria colony can die before you add the fish. You should try to keep it up around 2-3ppm and have it go down to 0ppm each day. You have to keep adding the ammonia at this level until your tank is cycled and you add your fish. Then your nitirites should spike.

You should see your nitrites spike before you add fish. In order for the water to be safe for fish, you should see 0 Ammonia, 0 NitrItes, and some NitrAtes

The nitrites did spike a couple weeks ago, they were way off the charts, then they have dropped down to 1 for the past few days.

You are almost there, just keep at it. Like the others have said....your ammonia and nitrite will go to 0 and your nitrates will rise.

So just to make sure this is right, I understand I need to keep dosing ammonia. I measured an hour after I added 1 tsp and it went up to 4. So tonight I will see what it goes down to. But once nitrites go to 0, do they stay at 0 or will they move up a little when ammonia is added?

So just to make sure this is right, I understand I need to keep dosing ammonia. I measured an hour after I added 1 tsp and it went up to 4. So tonight I will see what it goes down to. But once nitrites go to 0, do they stay at 0 or will they move up a little when ammonia is added?

When nitrites test at 0ppm, test your nitrates. If you have 0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrites, and some Nitrates at the end of the day...do a 50 PWC and you are ready to go!

Ok, I measured it 24 hours after I added the ammonia which brought it to 4, and it went back down to 1 again, so it sounds like I just need to keep adding that same amount of ammonia each day. The nitrites still are testing 1, so I guess I gotta give it a few more days hopefully and it will show 0. Nitrates are still at 5. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom