Do Pearl Gouramis need a group

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaTetra

Aquarium Advice Freak
Most sites say its ok to have them singly. Im setting up a 40- i want to put a pearl gourami in it. Should i get a male or female? Im leaning towards a female, becuase i dont want a territory claimed up at the top of the tank, ill b getting hatchetfish. Ive also heard that they are much more active in a group of three. Would u guys recomend getting two females, or a pair? I really dont want breeding, because i dont know anyone or anyplace that will take fry. Should i start with one and see how it acts, and go from there? And should i get a male or female?

Does anybody have experience with pearls? Ive herd that ocasionally a male will bully corydoras- which i find strange, but ive seen 3 dif accounts saying that on anoter forum. Not exactly nipping, just severe chasing? Will two females work? Or should i get a pair that might mate? I would prefer females but i wanna do this right.

Does anybody have experience with pearls? Ive herd that ocasionally a male will bully corydoras- which i find strange, but ive seen 3 dif accounts saying that on anoter forum. Not exactly nipping, just severe chasing? Will two females work? Or should i get a pair that might mate? I would prefer females but i wanna do this right.

I have kept to females from the same batch of fry they were gorgeous and got on like a house on fire. They would dance together and play together in the bubbles and feel each other with their two whisker things. They were lovely.

I have kept to females from the same batch of fry they were gorgeous and got on like a house on fire. They would dance together and play together in the bubbles and feel each other with their two whisker things. They were lovely.

Sounds legit to me. So ill get two from one shipment instead of at different times. Sound good?

I have a beautiful peaceful male which stays in breeding color most of the time.

He was part of 4 I got from the lfs a long while ago now. I thought I had 3 females and one male. Really had 2 males and 2 females.

There was a dominant male who killed one female he chased so hard and scared another one so much when I put a net at the top of the tank it nose dived into the floor of the tank so hard it died and started chasing my current fish to the point I was worried for its life.

So away it went to my friends house with some fish which were a bit more on the semi aggressive side and larger too and it behaved it self after that.

The one I have now is just so graceful and beautiful and so gentle and well mannered, very different than the other MEAN one. I would just make sure you could exchange it if got aggressive.

I have a beautiful peaceful male which stays in breeding color most of the time.

He was part of 4 I got from the lfs a long while ago now. I thought I had 3 females and one male. Really had 2 males and 2 females.

There was a dominant male who killed one female he chased so hard and scared another one so much when I put a net at the top of the tank it nose dived into the floor of the tank so hard it died and started chasing my current fish to the point I was worried for its life.

So away it went to my friends house with some fish which were a bit more on the semi aggressive side and larger too and it behaved it self after that.

The one I have now is just so graceful and beautiful and so gentle and well mannered, very different than the other MEAN one. I would just make sure you could exchange it if got aggressive.

I agree

Sounds like a gourami! LOL. I had a malepowder blue dwarf gourami in another tank once and it chased one of my platys every once in awhile. But it wasnt like that aggresive. Really, gouramis differ in personality. Even my black neons get a bit nippy now and again, and its great to watch.

Back
Top Bottom