Do you have any algae control tricks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Komodo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Besides the usual recommendations, keep away from the sun, clean the tank, algae eating fish and so forth, is there a trick you found that works or helps for you in algae control?

This is for an aquarium with African cichlids.

It kind of depends on the type of algae you're dealing with.
A good start is only having the light on for 6-7 hours each day. Also, take a look at your feeding habits and see if you might be over feeding.
Too much light and/or excess nutrients are the usual suspects when it comes to algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A timer for a set photo period (mine vary from 6-8 hours) and regular water changes are the two most basic things that can be most easily addressed. Aside from that as already mentioned it depends on the algae and the unique variables of your tank (light, depth, water params, plants, filtration/flow, stock, decor, ferts, co2, etc).

Sent from my iPad using science

common aspirin works fine

common aspirin works fine to algae removal.
Or you can try some Willows, sallows, and osiers form the genus Salix, branches.
To avoid they can come back, you can use UV water filters. Choose the wattage according the volume of your pound.
Regards
Cristobal Munoz

common aspirin works fine to algae removal.
Or you can try some Willows, sallows, and osiers form the genus Salix, branches.
To avoid they can come back, you can use UV water filters. Choose the wattage according the volume of your pound.
Regards
Cristobal Munoz

How does Aspirin work?

I would highly suggest against aspirin in an aquarium for algae control. The needed amount to kill algae is 2 grams per liter of water. That would be enough to kill all the fish from aspirin exposure alone not to mention the huge drop in pH

It works by inhibiting phosphate uptake by the algae.

A UV sterilizer would only affect algae that is free floating in the water column that also happens pass through the sterilizer itself.
Since most algae anchors to something solid inside the actual tank, this is not an efficient method. While it may have a minor impact on algae growth, I think UV sterilizers are more for controlling water-born pathogens.

Back
Top Bottom