Do you recommend bateria products for speeding up cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do you recommend things like Dr. Tim's "nitrifiying bateria in a bottle" products to speed up fish cycling. The product label makes it sound like you can just add this bacteria to your tank/filter and voila...your fully cycled.

I'm a bit skeptical, but figured I'd ask around.

I have cycled quite a few tanks and I;ve used Bio Spira in the past as well as some other newer brands. Got to admit I saw no measurable difference except in the case of the bio spira. It seemed to help but I can't be sure.

I would recommend just doing it the old fashioned way and wait. The bacteria in a bottle is just a possible easy way out. If it even works. LOL

Fish-in cycle is your best bet IMO. Just keep up with the water changes. I've tried fishless cycling with no luck at all, wasted months of my time with an empty tank.

Thanks. I have fish in my cycle and have been cycling for 3 weeks without a sign of Nitrites. I guess I am getting to the point where I am looking for something to speed up the process.

I do biweekly doses with Microbe- lift just to be safe. I did try cycling one tank with it, but it still took about a month. So as stated earlier I don't think it has any effect on actual cyclin time

IMO, if there are fish in the tank, the best things to use are a bucket and a bottle of Prime. I personally don't trust the "instant cycling" products, I've heard way too many stories of them establishing less than stable bio-filters. You just need to make sure you have a quality test kit and lots of patience, perseverance and a strong back to carry buckets.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Dr Tim's, biospira/Tetra Safestart, angelsplus active sponge filter (my favorite) among a few others have a fairly decent track record. I wouldn't blindly trust them (or anything else for that matter), but they have been proven to work. The science behind their product works, so their product works as well. However, 95% of the other products are snake oil. They do contain bacteria that will do some nitrification, but it's not the same kind prevalent in a functioning biofilter in our aquariums.

IMO, if there are fish in the tank, the best things to use are a bucket and a bottle of Prime. I personally don't trust the "instant cycling" products, I've heard way too many stories of them establishing less than stable bio-filters. You just need to make sure you have a quality test kit and lots of patience, perseverance and a strong back to carry buckets.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

With a fish in cycle, there is no other way to cycle your tank than PWC to keep the ammonia and nitrItes below .25ppm. Any higher and you risk the health and the life of your fish.
Before I grew my own BB on extra filter parts and gravel in a bucket, it took nearly 2 full months to finish the fish in cycle and for the nitrAtes to stabilize.
Now that I have 3 filters that do nothing but sit in a bucket and wait for the BB to cover it. It takes only a few weeks to cycle a 55g tank. But I not only have filters with BB, I have extra gravel with high levels of BB in it too.
Buying the bacteria in a bottle is a colossal waste of money, IMO.
During the cycle, whether it's fish in or fishless, your best friend will be patients and more patients.

Personally I try to avoid using chemicals for any reason unless absolutely necessary and there is no other recourse. I use fish-in cycling and my 37 gallon took over a month before it showed any signs of progress except for one ammo spike.

I use seachem stability. I started a fishless cycle 6 days ago and I have ammo nitrites and nitrates allready

Tetra's Safestart and Bio-Spira has always cycled tanks for me in less than 7 days, those are the only ones I've found to work as advertised.

I used several initially and also had a severe cycle crash and lost half of my little fish. The bacteria in the bottle is unstable in my opinion. I will never ever use any of that stuff again. Eco hooked me up with some filter media from his tank. No more issues. Just my two cents. If you were close I would pay the favor forward and hook you up.

I used Nutrafin Cycle and it seemed to work, but you must add it weekly FOREVER. Once I decided I didn't want to keep spending money on the product my tank had a massive nitrite spike that killed many of my fish.

I've never used them but angelsplus.com sells filter sponges out of their tanks if you need seeded material.

When I cycled my 75 gallon I did a fish-less cycle with Tetra Safestart and it finished in about 2 weeks.

Just my experience with it.

With Microbe-Lift, if you combine the Special Blend with the Nite Out II, your tank will be cycled in a matter of days, works really fast. Love it is all I can say.

plecoking said:
With Microbe-Lift, if you combine the Special Blend with the Nite Out II, your tank will be cycled in a matter of days, works really fast. Love it is all I can say.

Used that one.. did absolutely nothing but waste my money.. bottom line I think as in not using any material.. each setup is different and could have varying results. Too many variables with the chemicles.. will it be stable, how long did it sit in a shelf etc.. only way to know for sure is to just be patient and test regularly to ensure the safety of fish. I've done all three varieties of cycling .. fish in, fishless and silent. Silent is the inky one that didn't give me any spikes whatsoever. But it can be a pricey way to go if you have a large tank or no stem plant connections.

Last edited:
Very mixed opinions on this topic I see. I added some of the Dr Tim's bacteria formula that I mentioned, due to the fact that I am 3 weeks into my cycle and have no nitrites/nitrates.

I'll report back in a few days and let you know if I have anything. I'm not expecting much to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom