Does acrylic bow slightly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lexiesboots

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a seaclear acrylic tank 29 gallons. It seems to now slightly and I was just wondering if this is normal for acrylic tanks? This is my first acrylic tank.

I just bought a 29 gallon sea clear tank. It's acrylic and I noticed its bowing slightly in the middle on the front panel. It is in the middle of the panel. I have never had an acrylic aquarium before and I was just wondering if bowing is normal.

Sorry I was in a hurry on my phone and it auto corrected bow to now.

Agreed! That's why you should have the supports on the top. Acrylic does flex where glass doesn't.

It does have the support on the top. I have it on a metal stand with a wooden board in between the tank and the stand because I have heard of them bottoming out. I just wanted to make sure if it was normal and okay for acrylic to bow some. Last tank I bought was a 40 gallon breeder without the center brace and the slight bow drove me crazy. I eventually took it down and bought this one because the stress was just too much

Gotya! Your good then. Just remember that cleaning and general care is different from glass tanks. Acrylic scratches easy but small ones can be buffed out. Good luck!

Gotya! Your good then. Just remember that cleaning and general care is different from glass tanks. Acrylic scratches easy but small ones can be buffed out. Good luck!

Yes! I have seen so many complaints on the reviews of acrylic scratching. I'm not too worried about it since the tank is in my room against the wall so no foot traffic to worry about. Thanks so much!

And some crazing where it is bowing is that normal too? I would think so since its flexing but just want to double check.

Back
Top Bottom