Does anyone own Koi or Carp??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Dad has a 55gallon tank with koi, wondering if anyone else has them in a tank or only ponds??

Thats what we were starting to think they've been doing good until now, but there suddenly growing so big so fast, but its -15 to -30 out right now, so they cant be moved to a pond yet... thanks for you input.

Didn't see that you're in Canada. People in cold climates do keep their pond fish in aquariums for the winter. With large koi, I think you'd be better off using a kiddie pool, a canister filter, and some netting over the top. A horse water trough would work too.

I have a couple growing in my 150 at least for the winter. They need bigs tanks like pacus, they can be up to 3' (usually more like 2') and like to school.

How big are they now? They are perfectly fine in tanks until they outgrow them as long as you do enough water changes to not stunt them.

I have a friend who has kept a large albino koi in a 75g for about 3 years. She moved to an apartment, and even knowing the koi will grow out of the tank, she couldn't bear to part with him. He's pretty healthy, but at the same time, she does *something* to it every day. He's really dirty. I personally wouldn't reccommend it, but it's definitely better than putting them in freezing weather. I really like the kiddie pool idea!

Another over winter idea is an indoor pond. <If you live near us, you would have the fish indoor more than out :( > A quick way to build an indoor overwintering pond is to build a 2 foot x 8 foot x 2 foot "box", (or whatever size you need or have room for) either with Allen Blocks or strong timber. Throw in a pond liner & presto, an indoor pond. This would be big enough to use your regular pond filter. People up here would just move their fish & filter from outdoor to in as dictated by weather.

This of course would require quite a bit of space ... but if the Koi are still small, a 55 would prob be OK till spring. You can drop the temp somewhat & feed less so they will grow slower. Incidentally, there are some here in Edmonton that will keep koi outside in winter ... you do need at least an 8 foot deep pond so it won't freeze solid ....

i live down here in ontario and we keep our koi and goldfish outside through the winter, just have a pump breaking the surface so the pond doesnt completely freeze over and they seem to be doing great for the last 3-4 years.

My dad has no heat in his tank, and he has tried feeding them less I think, but they get so crazy atfeeding time, they have splashed large amounts of water out of the tank!! I think hes realizing they need to get the pond built outside asap and deep enough they can stay out there all winter long.... I thaught it was 6 feet deep, he'll have to look into that.... thanks for all your advice everyone :)

Depends on where you live & the local frost line, 6' deep is prob. good enough to over winter koi. <As long as you don't live in Edmonton or other northern cities! :( >

You do have to make sure there is not total ice cover over the pond (so gases can escape). So you either have to go & break up the ice manually from time to time, or use a pump or a heater to do that automatically.

Back
Top Bottom