Does tank shape matter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bethan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does tank shape matter?

I'm getting a new tank for my Kribensis, does the shape of it matter? long or tall? I can get a great deal on a tall hexagonal 240L tank...but think I always see this type of fish in long tanks if that makes sense. I'm a newbie at this ;)

You want long instead of tall. Longer tanks vs tall tanks of the same volume give you more surface area which means better gas exchange. Plus it'll give your fish more swimming room, not to mention easier to switch decor around. Having to plunge your arm up to your armpits with tall tanks is not fun.

+1 with jcolon, longer rather than taller is much easier to maintain & most fish prefer it.

Don't know if the OP is even checking in with this thread anymore, but let me add my two cents from someone just recently experiencing this long vs. tall phenomenon...

Our last 60 gallon, which cracked and flooded our home, was on the longish side, boasting a beautiful wood canopy and matching stand. The new tank I recently picked up to re-start our goldfish setup was a Marineland 60 gallon high (and kind of long, too) and let me tell you...I agree 100 PERCENT with everyone else in this thread who has voted for a LONG over TALL aquarium...this new tank is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to clean (inside), do water changes on, move decor around, etc. especially compared to our last long tank. In order to get to the bottom of this tank, I have to drain out AT LEAST 50% of the water and even STILL my arms and pit get SOAKED because the thing is so darn deep; to reach the substrate to do a gravel vac, I have to position my bucket on a separate chair next to the one I must stand on to reach the bottom of the tank just so the syphon can reach from the gravel to the bucket...it is absolutely RIDICULOUS...

I will NEVER EVER choose a tall over long aquarium again. :nono:

Back
Top Bottom