Does this mean my tank is almost done cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I started up a new 75 gallon tank 7 days ago and added BB from an established tank to speed up the process. It's been a week now and these are my test results. I'm starting to get nitrate readings but ammonia and nitrites are still present. Is it at the end of its cycle? Should I do a water change or anything. I was hoping to add fish by Thursday ( in 3 days )

Attachments

• image-3731710350.jpg
    image-3731710350.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 57
I started up a new 75 gallon tank 7 days ago and added BB from an established tank to speed up the process. It's been a week now and these are my test results. I'm starting to get nitrate readings but ammonia and nitrites are still present. Is it at the end of its cycle? Should I do a water change or anything. I was hoping to add fish by Thursday ( in 3 days )

Since ammonia and nitrite is present the cycle has not yet finished, for nitrite to turn into nitrate is usually the longest process, so you may or may not be ready by Thursday, depends :)

Are you dosing ammonia daily? Until you steadily see zero ammonia and nitrite from your daily ammonia dose, your tank is still in the cycling process.

Are you dosing ammonia daily? Until you steadily see zero ammonia and nitrite from your daily ammonia dose, your tank is still in the cycling process.

No I haven't dosed any ammonia actually!

I just put in some fish flakes at the beginning, but not much.

Fish flakes wont provide sufficient ammonia for a 75g unless your dumping the whole container in. Do you have ammonia in your tap water?

I would decide if you want fishless cycle this tank or stock very slowly and fish-in cycle. You have negligible amounts of bacteria because a very low amount of nitrite and nitrate are present. This assumes though your tap water contains zero nitrite and nitrate but its also possible the established media you added contributed to your readings. There really is not a way to know for sure unless you add a dose of ammonia and see how your tank handles it 24hrs later. :)

Fish flakes wont provide sufficient ammonia for a 75g unless your dumping the whole container in. Do you have ammonia in your tap water? I would decide if you want fishless cycle this tank or stock very slowly and fish-in cycle. You have negligible amounts of bacteria because a very low amount of nitrite and nitrate are present. This assumes though your tap water contains zero nitrite and nitrate but its also possible the established media you added contributed to your readings. There really is not a way to know for sure unless you add a dose of ammonia and see how your tank handles it 24hrs later. :)

Well I always use prime to condition my water because I'm sure there is ammonia present to begin with. However I just used water from hose to fill up the tank and didn't add prime. Only a small dosage to a small water change I did a couple days ago. Unfortunately I don't have any ammonia to add :(

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate recently? It would be a good idea to start here so we have some idea where your numbers are coming from and if your tap is a factor.

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate recently? It would be a good idea to start here so we have some idea where your numbers are coming from and if your tap is a factor.

Well just tested my tap for ammonia and surprisingly it came back negative! At least I think it did, I'm color blind so these test are hard for me to read sometimes. But here is a pic...

Attachments

• image-3179094254.jpg
    image-3179094254.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 48
Went out and bought some ammonia. Poured in a little this morning to see what happens.

You probably did this - but remember to test for ammonia about 20 minutes after adding the ammonia. That way, you will know whether or not the level dropped if you test again 24 hours later.

Also a good idea to measure the amount you put in so you know how many ml of ammonia gives you what reading in your tank.

Well just tested my tap for ammonia and surprisingly it came back negative! At least I think it did, I'm color blind so these test are hard for me to read sometimes. But here is a pic...

Looks like you have bit of ammonia in your tap (@.25ppm). Not a big deal but using Prime is a good idea for wcs with fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom