Does this mean our tank is cycled.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kel1971

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have had our tank up for I think about a month and a half now.
We lost a few fish at the beginning because we were not very knowledgeable about the cycling.
But with some great advice from this forum and lots of water tests and changes, we have not lost any more fish. And I think our tank may actually be cycled now! So happy! ?
The last two tests we have done have had 0 levels of ammonia nitrite and nitrate!
My question - Does this mean our tank is finally cycled??
If so, I have a few more questions.
Should we start doing water changes once a week and how much?
And our sponge in the filter is pretty nasty. I've read conflicting info about changing them because that is where a lot of the bacteria are. How often should we change the sponge and carbon or clean it and how?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Maybe. The zero nitrate is suspect. Unless you are doing MASSIVE water changes, you should be registering some level of nitrates.
If you are using API's liquid test kit for nitrates, do take care to properly mix the reactants prior to testing. Results can be inconsistent because of insufficient mixing.
What brand/model of filter are you using? Generally you will want to swish the sponge in water removed from the tank after a water change.
How big is the tank and what inhabitants are in it?

We did do about a 25 % water change the day before the first test of 0 nitrates. I'm pretty sure I mixed them properly as we have been testing the water for some time and this was the first time they have been 0. I'll test again in a couple of days without a water change and be sure to mix them as directed. Maybe it was a fluke. I was just happy to see the nitrites drop finally.
We have a 30 gallon tank and I believe it is an aquaclear 50.
We have gradually worked up to 4 platys, 3 mollies, 6 guppies and 3 small algae eaters I'm not sure what they are called. Oh and a baby molly. And we have some live plants as well.

It has been over a month and you've never cleaned the filter? Just rinse the media in old tank water when doing water changes and squeeze the sponge in it to get rid of the dirt trapped inside.

It has been over a month and you've never cleaned the filter? Just rinse the media in old tank water when doing water changes and squeeze the sponge in it to get rid of the dirt trapped inside.

That's a bit harsh. But, yes, the squeezing and rinsing in old tank water is the best way to clean your filter sponge.

Well, an AC50 in a 30G. I think that really needs weekly cleaning IMO

Anyways, I am sorry if I offended anyone.

We have a 30 gallon tank and I believe it is an aquaclear 50.

It sounds to me like you're getting close, though I agree the zero nitrates is odd. A 25% water change shouldn't have eliminated it. I'd test every other day or so for a week and, if you're still reading 0 ammonia/0 nitrites/some nitrates, then I'd say you're done. Just take it easy adding fish.

The AC 50 is a great filter for that size tank. I have mine on a monthly cleaning schedule, never a bit of problem with it.

Thanks everyone.
No offence taken. We are new to this and still learning so everyone's advice is appreciated. We started rinsing the filter at first and then I read that all of the bacteria lived in the filter so we stopped rinsing for a few weeks, obviously that was wrong. I know now.
We cleaned it again tonight wasn't really that bad. Tested water again...3 days since water change and everything is still 0 including the nitrates. I even did that one twice following the instructions and timing to be sure and both times it was yellow. Any idea why this would be?
We are done adding fish for awhile. Just going to enjoy the ones we have.
How often and how much water should we change now that we are getting close to being cycled?
And with regards to the filter media....when do you replace this stuff? And what is the best way to do that without getting rid of all if the bacteria?

Thanks everyone.
No offence taken. We are new to this and still learning so everyone's advice is appreciated. We started rinsing the filter at first and then I read that all of the bacteria lived in the filter so we stopped rinsing for a few weeks, obviously that was wrong. I know now.
We cleaned it again tonight wasn't really that bad. Tested water again...3 days since water change and everything is still 0 including the nitrates. I even did that one twice following the instructions and timing to be sure and both times it was yellow. Any idea why this would be?
We are done adding fish for awhile. Just going to enjoy the ones we have.
How often and how much water should we change now that we are getting close to being cycled?
And with regards to the filter media....when do you replace this stuff? And what is the best way to do that without getting rid of all if the bacteria?

I don't change my media until it is practically dissolving. And then I only swap out about 20 % at any one time. And I would wait another 2 weeks before changing any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't change my media either. Although, I rinse my sponge on tap water because it gets soon nasty I can't get it clean using old tank water, especially the fine filter pad.

I don't change my media until it is practically dissolving. And then I only swap out about 20 % at any one time. And I would wait another 2 weeks before changing any more.

Agreed. The most I do is give my media a good rinsing in either old tank water or tap water that's been treated with Prime. I won't replace the sponges, for example, until they're crumbling.

In my AC50 I was rinsing the sponge and ceramic media in old tank water, however, the sponge would only get so clean. I replaced the sponge with polyester fluff and every few weeks I toss it. I still rinse the ceramic in old tank water. I feel that the floss does a better job in trapping particulates than the sponge. I'm not concerned about losing bacteria in the floss (if it even has a chance to develop) because that is the role of the ceramic media.
As for water changes, since nitrate levels are often used as a gauge (and you are not seeing any) perhaps anywhere from 30-50% per week should be performed. I use an expensive TDS meter to gauge the "buildup" in my tank.

All great advice from folks here

I have multi filter medias; so I will clean (1) one week and leave the rest alone. Then in another week or so I will clean another (different) one. This way it doesn't upset the bacterial status. My canister filter ; I will only clean about ever six months or so.

Mike.

I have multi filter medias; so I will clean (1) one week and leave the rest alone. Then in another week or so I will clean another (different) one. This way it doesn't upset the bacterial status.

I do similarly for the two Aquaclears on my 20-long: each is cleaned monthly or as needed. One week I do one, the other on the following weekend.

Thank you everyone for your advice.
Just an update, I tested the water again tonight. Four days since the last water change and still all of the water tests are 0. Even the nitrates still.
I forgot to mention last time that we do have about 8 real plants in the tank as well. Would this be why the nitrates are 0?

Thank you everyone for your advice.
Just an update, I tested the water again tonight. Four days since the last water change and still all of the water tests are 0. Even the nitrates still.
I forgot to mention last time that we do have about 8 real plants in the tank as well. Would this be why the nitrates are 0?
Plants probably have a lot to do with it. Our nitrates are always low, like 5ppm.

Yep. My 20-long is heavily planted, and I have a dickens of a time getting nitrates above 10ppm. My plants show signs of nitrogen starvation because of it.
What are signs of nitrogen starvation? I noticed one of our plants is turning a brown/red colour and we are losing a few small leaves on some. Maybe that is why?
And how do you bring the nitrogen up without using chemicals?

If you are referring to nitrate, it should build up naturally as an end product of the nitrogen cycle.
I have the opposite problem. I stopped adding the nitrate component of my daily fertilizer regimen because the nitrate levels were 40+ ppm at the time even with 30% weekly water changes. Tank is heavily planted and has a low bioload.

Back
Top Bottom