Does this sound okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klj_current

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody!!

I have a 55 gal tank with gravel substrate and I have been doing some research on what fish I should put in it. Does this sound like it would work? I like schooling fish, but would also like a good variety in the tank.

4 rainbows
4 silver dollars
3 clown loaches
2-4 ottos (how many should I have)
1 candy-stripe pleco

Is this enough? Can I add more? I would like to add other fish as well, but I don't know what else would be compatable.

I am a little concerned about the size of the silver dollars as they can get pretty large. Will I have a problem concerning space down the road?

Also the candy-stripe pleco only grows to about 4" and I hear plecos can be rather messy. Would a small pleco like that still be messy?

Finally, I have NO experience with loaches of any kind. I have also read that clown loaches are ick-prone and can be a little tricky for a beginner.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to do some good research before I start adding.

You will have greater size issues with the Clown Loaches than the Silver Dollars. They get to be well over a foot long. They are slow growing, so if you're planning to upgrade to a larger aquarium down the line they would be fine for awhile. If not I'd recommend going with a smaller loach instead.

While the pleco will still be messy, the smaller size will limit the amount of the mess. Sounds like it is probably has some very nice markings. Pictures would be appreciated once you have it.

Personally I'd probably skip the Clown Loaches and Silver Dollars, and go with several schools of different rainbows. There are lots of color and size options with these fish so you would be able to achieve a very colorful and varied aquarium.

I agree with Joy I would also skipp the clown loaches and the sliver dollars and keep the rainbows and get all different kinds of them. They are very pretty and active fish. If you want some bottem dwellers then gets some cory cats, I have emerald green corys and they are so funny and fun to watch.

Great, I was kinda weary about the clown loaches anyway. I will definitely post pics when they come in, will be a couple weeks because I'm still cycling.

Okay, work is really slow so I researched some more and came up with this: (I LOVE my job :p)!!

3 emeral green corys (they are indeed very pretty)
1 candy-stripe pleco
12 rainbows (4 each of the Celebes, Dwarf Neons, and Boesemanis)

I think this would do it.

Just out of curiosity and want to know, why aren't the silver dollars recommended?

That sounds like an excellant combination to me. If you can manage a slightly larger school (at least 5-6) of the cories, they'll thank you for it.

Silver Dollars do get rather larger as well, and more importantly to me they are plant eaters. Since I only keep planted tanks I'll never have Silver Dollars.

Back
Top Bottom