Does Water Conditioner Kill Nitrifying Bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LogansMomma

Aquarium Advice Activist
I heard a nasty rumor that water condtioners that take out chlorine kills the nitrifying bacteria. Is this true? Also heard that some ammonia removers/ blocker kill the Bio too.

If it does what are u supposed to do about it? Just curious.

I read some other forum for idk what reason.... But came across that topic and thought it to be questionable. They said that whatever chemical that killed the chlorine would kill the Bio. I'm like huh? Lol

They were actually referring to the 'safe start' bottled bacteria in that post, which I believe is a different type of bacteria than what grows in our filters.

Either way, sounds like a load of crock to me.

Ammonia blockers actually may because it removes the ammonia which the BB (Beneficial bacteria) feed on. This means the blockers starve the bacteria. Using the water conditioner to get rid of the ammonia may kill some BB. Using at proper doses, conditioner will not do this, overuse (i mean way overdose) may starve some bacteria.
Bottom line, if used properly, the water conditioner wont affect your cycle. No need to worry about it killing your bacteria. Here, we do not recommend the use of ammonia blockers, it is a waste of money.

Water conditioners that make ammonia 'safe' do not remove ammonia... they simply convert it temporarily to a non-toxic state... Now something like zeolite on the other hand... that can cause issues since it actually absorbs it, making it unavailable to the biofilter.

Lol I am reading my own words on that link.

The first post in that thread was linked has several flaws in it. The aerobic nitrifiers found in aquaria cannot be dried out, there are a few sources that attest to that. I've read the links given (obviously since I was part of that thread from years go), and a lot of what is being claimed really doesn't have legs. One major reason why I say that is because if it were that simple, if the nitrifiers were THAT easy to manipulate then all of the products on the market would work, and work well.

But through personal testing and research I've come to the conclusion that most of them do not work well, or work at all in seeding the tank with the same sort of nitrifiers that are found in it naturally. For the most part, most of these products contain heterotrophs that are far less sensitive to factors like bottling, drying out, and temperature extremes. While heterotrophs can and will convert nitrogenous waste, they do so quite poorly compared to the nitrifiers naturally found in an established tank.

The problem with using these bacteria to cycle a tank is that they are far from stable, as is anything in a new setup, so the tank may look fine one day and then be a toxic cess pool another.

And I agree about the detoxifying water conditioners, Prime, amquel+, ammolock all render ammonia less toxic temporarily by 'converting' it to nh4, and they all claim that it is still available to the biofilter during this period.

OK thank you guys for clearing this up for me. I feel better now. So quick recap: water conditioners do not harm Bio if used moderately.... Ammonia removers harm the Bio because it is starved..... And ammonia blocker or detoxifiers are OK because they just covert the ammonia to a less toxic substance and can be removed naturally by Bio..... I'm guessing turning it into nitrite then to nitrate right? ;)

OK thank you guys for clearing this up for me. I feel better now. So quick recap: water conditioners do not harm Bio if used moderately....
They don't harm beneficial bacteria at all, even if overdosed a bit.

Ammonia removers harm the Bio because it is starved.....

There's some conjecture on this subject. As to how well ammonia removers like zeolite work, like carbon, they get expended quickly, so they are a bad idea unless you are using them for a temporary situation.

And ammonia blocker or detoxifiers are OK because they just covert the ammonia to a less toxic substance and can be removed naturally by Bio..... I'm guessing turning it into nitrite then to nitrate right? ;)
Sounds ok to me.

I never used the ammonia removers but I'll be sure to definitely steer clear of it now.

Back
Top Bottom