Doing Something Wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZCole

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am no stranger to fish tanks. I was raised around them all my life and it was nothing for my Dad to have invested a month's worth of pay into his tanks...So I have inherited that obsession.. I have 2 55's and a 29 gal. set up and all are running smoothly..

However, I have never had a betta fish (as my Dad didn't like them) so I figured since I'm an adult, I'd get one! They're gorgeous fish and I love them.
I bought a 1.5 gal. tank and went through 3 bettas (all died within a week from a fungus) So I gave up for a while and bought a new tank; A mini bow front (2.5 gallons). Set it up, conditioned the water, tested it...perfect. Put a betta in it and within 3 days it got tail rot and died. I still had it set up (after sterilizing it and re-doing the water) and put a couple tetras in it. I figured since I obviously couldn't keep a betta alive, I'd try something different. They lived a whole week before dying. I did water changes (every other day), conditioned (everything I would do to my big tanks)...

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG WITH THESE LITTLE TANKS!? I can't keep ANYTHING alive in them and it is getting VERY frustrating. My pH was 6.6, ammonia was fine, nitrates and nitrites were fine...I just can't figure it out?? I have never messed with a tank this small..should I be looking for different numbers and levels? I know that it is close to impossible to cycle such a small tank but I didn't think it would be this difficult....??

This is the 2.5 gal. tank; Aqueon Aquarium Mini-Bow 2.5 Gallon Acrylic Aquarium Kit - Desktop Fish Tank and Betta Fish Tank from petco.com

I also have a heater that keeps it right around 75 degrees.

Might want to post this in the FW section instead of the saltwater. And welcome to AA btw :). When my brother was young he got a betta and the next day it would die. He got another, next day it died. I got a betta half a year ago and put it in a large jar with half of the water being from my 5 year old FW tank and half being new. I did water changes every few months. It's so hardy it's unbelievable and it's doing great. I put it in my 10 gallon tank though. I think it's just because it's not cycled. Someone else can surely give you advice or experience of how they did their small tanks.

It may not be the right thing to do, but when I got my betta tank, I filled part with water from my big tank and part with conditioned new water.

I noticed that it was Salt water as soon as I posted it...But I couldn't figure out how to delete it and move it :\ Sorry about that! lol, thanks for the welcome, btw! :)

I have seen that a couple times on here now; people putting water from their already established tanks into the smaller ones. I may just have to try it. I've tried everything else, what's the harm! lol

Thank you, everyone! :)

Might want to post this in the FW section instead of the saltwater. And welcome to AA btw :). When my brother was young he got a betta and the next day it would die. He got another, next day it died. I got a betta half a year ago and put it in a large jar with half of the water being from my 5 year old FW tank and half being new. I did water changes every few months. It's so hardy it's unbelievable and it's doing great. I put it in my 10 gallon tank though. I think it's just because it's not cycled. Someone else can surely give you advice or experience of how they did their small tanks.

I would suggest maybe finding a different source for your stock perhaps? My lfs was pretty honest about most Bettas they receive being loaded with problems when I asked for help with medications

I vowed to buy my next Betta from a breeder instead and avoid the middleman as the condition of the fish after transport and all the stress in the store in those little bowls is a few strikes against them before you even start. You know this is somewhat true for all fish, but I believe the tiny bowls or cups they live in is especially tough on bettas during the weeks they are being treated as livestock.

It could be the stock; did you buy them all at the same store? Also with smaller tanks there is less room for error as the smaller body of water isn't that forgiving; ammonia etc can rise fairly quickly leading to fin rot, ammonia/nitrite burns and/or death. You might want to read up on cycling too (the fish-in guide would be the one you want to look at if you're going to cycle with a fish): Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice Also I don't' see a heater listed on the tank kit; did you have one? Bettas need warmer water, 78-80 F.

Back
Top Bottom