Done cycling....now wc questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justme68

Aquarium Advice Freak
Good morning! After 6 weeks of cycling I finally got a few cories. Tomorrow will be 1 week of having them in my tank. I've tested my water every other day and all is good...ammo 0, trites 0, trates 10 and Ph is 7.6. Tomorrow (or this evening) I'd like to do a 50% wc before I get a school of tetra but I have a couple questions.....I'm assuming its OK to leave the fish in when doing this much of a wc? And when I add in the prime it won't hurt them either? I just want to make sure before I do this every week! Also should i feed them the SAME time every day? I'd also like to say thanks again to jlk and librarygirl for helping me through my stubborn cycle!! I'm hoping to post pics soon :)

Thanks,
Dana

Good morning! After 6 weeks of cycling I finally got a few cories. Tomorrow will be 1 week of having them in my tank. I've tested my water every other day and all is good...ammo 0, trites 0, trates 10 and Ph is 7.6. Tomorrow (or this evening) I'd like to do a 50% wc before I get a school of tetra but I have a couple questions.....I'm assuming its OK to leave the fish in when doing this much of a wc? And when I add in the prime it won't hurt them either? I just want to make sure before I do this every week! Also should i feed them the SAME time every day? I'd also like to say thanks again to jlk and librarygirl for helping me through my stubborn cycle!! I'm hoping to post pics soon :)

Thanks,
Dana
Im fish in cycling and I change my water daily, about 70% sometimes more, and I leave my fishes in :) They actually become accustomed to the changes and play in the stream of freshwater! They even get brave and go right up to the syphon hose when I take the water out lol. I put the prime in as well with them in and I dose for the whole tank, I just make sure I dont put it right on top of them ;) Congrats on being cycled!!!! :dance:

Thanks A.P.! I figured it was OK but I just wanted to make sure...took long enough to get where I am that I didn't want to mess up...lol! I think you got a seeded filter the same time I did, how are things going for you?

Thanks A.P.! I figured it was OK but I just wanted to make sure...took long enough to get where I am that I didn't want to mess up...lol! I think you got a seeded filter the same time I did, how are things going for you?
Oh goodness, I am afraid of messing up on a daily basis :lol: Lol! We dod get our filters at the same time ;) Well, not much change over here... Never saw any spikes of any kind... Not one trite or trate! My ammonia seems to be staying around .25 so I checked my tap and it has .25 ammonia! Still learning what thats supposed to mean?! Im kinda confused about not seeing any happenings BUT I have been assured Im on the right track and I just keep cranking out the wc's! Im AWESOME at it now hahaha! I was beyond terrible and flooding my house daily! Lol, but things are well, my fish are happy and colored up beautifully! I did have to rehome 4 fish :( It was hard because my kids got them for me and didnt understand they were not compatible but they are happier where they are now and the dynamics in my tank have seemed to get better since they have left (y)

Thanks,
Dana

Hi Dana! Im glad everything is going well!! Yes, leave your fish in the tank when you do a pwc. Either add Prime before refilling or dose to buckets if your using them. Just make sure you temp-match & condition the water. Your fish will be fine! In respect to feeding, if you can feed them around the same time everyday thats great but dont worry if your not able to do it exactly the same everyday! Look forward to seeing pics! :)

Holy cow! I'm sorry you didn't get the results you wanted. Its sounds like you're doing great though, you'll check one day and be right where you wanna be! It is hard for the little ones to understand why the fish can't stay but I'm sure they'll soon attach to any new ones :) hang in there girl...you'll finish so enough!

I'll feed same time daily jlk :)

Justme68 said:
Holy cow! I'm sorry you didn't get the results you wanted. Its sounds like you're doing great though, you'll check one day and be right where you wanna be! It is hard for the little ones to understand why the fish can't stay but I'm sure they'll soon attach to any new ones :) hang in there girl...you'll finish so enough!

I'll feed same time daily jlk :)

Oh don't be sorry! Things will pan out :) I'm so used to doing the changes daily that I couldn't imagine life without lol. I ordered a bristlenose pleco to replace the fish that have been rehomed, I'm sure they will dig it! And I too am excited to see some pics of ur corey's I've grown quite fond of them since becoming a member of AA but can't have them with Mbuna's so I will live vicariously thru you :D

Lol....I'll post pics as soon as I can get a good one! I remember reading your story but I forgot what size take you have....

:ermm:
Lol....I'll post pics as soon as I can get a good one! I remember reading your story but I forgot what size take you have....
Awesome! They are cute lil buggers! I have a 55 currently with only 6, 1 1/2 inch fish... makes me wonder if my bioload is not big enough? :ermm:

As you know, I'm just a beginner but that's what I would think! Not enough ammo produced for that size tank maybe? I could be wrong though...

Justme68 said:
As you know, I'm just a beginner but that's what I would think! Not enough ammo produced for that size tank maybe? I could be wrong though...

That's is it. The large amount of water is helping

That's is it. The large amount of water is helping
Right on :) I went to get fish at my not-so-local lfs and the majority of the tanks had ich :( I do believe they were running some kind of big central filtration system behind the tanks and thats why I didnt buy any... I need a good lfs!!!

AndrewsPistol said:
Right on :) I went to get fish at my not-so-local lfs and the majority of the tanks had ich :( I do believe they were running some kind of big central filtration system behind the tanks and thats why I didnt buy any... I need a good lfs!!!

All the chain stores do one big filtration
It sucks. The lfs I shop all have 20 gal with hob's

All the chain stores do one big filtration
It sucks. The lfs I shop all have 20 gal with hob's
I have no ma & pop stores anywhere, well there is one but its going out of business and apparently they stopped caring about the animals when the business started failing :nono: I have a Petsmart almost an hour away and a Walmart about a half hour away. Idk why I ever decided to move off the grid lol :banghead:

I thought about online purchase also but WOW, I can't justify the shipping prices either. My mom & pop shop is within walking distance from me but it is pretty bad!! Way to many floaters and just a Hodge podge of fish thrown into a bunch of tanks....pretty sad looking to me

Back
Top Bottom