Dose replacement water or full tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, just wondering if I have been making a mistake when doing my weekly water changes...when replacing my water I have been dosing according to the amount of new water I'm adding and not the full volume of the tank (Aqua plus I think.. For dechlorination etc) Is this wrong?? Am confused after reading some other threads...could have misunderstood tho??
Please help..my poor fishy friends thank u :)

Hi, just wondering if I have been making a mistake when doing my weekly water changes...when replacing my water I have been dosing according to the amount of new water I'm adding and not the full volume of the tank (Aqua plus I think.. For dechlorination etc) Is this wrong?? Am confused after reading some other threads...could have misunderstood tho??

When I dose Prime I dose for total amount of water. I believe you'd want to do the same. While filling your tank up, say its a 55 gallon just dose for a 55 gallon.

It's not gonna hurt

Oh snap!! I have been doing this wrong for 6 weeks...big ooops!
Thank u v much for speedy reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh snap!! I have been doing this wrong for 6 weeks...big ooops!
Thank u v much for speedy reply.

No harm done. Your welcome. Some only dose for what they replace btw... So you really weren't doing it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

If your doing PWC's using Seachem Prime via bucket, then you can dose for the volume of each bucket of water your replacing. This is how I've been doing it since day one, so far now issues. If you feel you overdosed on one of the buckets, no worries it works itself out, better to be over than under.

However, if you are using a Python or other water changer, then you want to dose for the entire tank volume. Who knows, maybe I'll look to invest in a Python. I assume you do the same thing for either way with any other water conditioner.

Hi, I have been dosing for my bucket volume only! Use Nutrafin Aqua plus for dechlorination etc. My fish have ICH at the moment so don't want to cause them extra stress by not conditioning water properly!!! Lots of water changes needed just now although water parameters say perfect according to liquid tests!! Thanks for all info, much appreciated. X

Someone posted something interesting in an earlier thread. I think it was Phin. If you add your water before adding conditioner, the chlorine in the water could be killing some BB until you neutralize it. I dose directly to the tank for the entire volume with Prime and then add my water. Definitely switch to Prime for you water conditioner. I was using the Aqua Plus and it made the surface of my tank really foamy (dosing the entire tank volume). The problem has gone away.

I always dose the water in my bucket prior to adding it into tank but yes, I had noticed it gets very foamy!! Weird, thanks...will keep a look out for prime next time I'm at shop....do u know if it's a us product as I am in the Uk? Thanks again.

I use something by API, and I just dose for the whole tank. I think sometimes I overdose it, because the drips come out so fast!

Ok good, sounds like a little more is better than not enough! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom