Dreaded Ammonia Levels!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prime. Yea someone else suggested that too. Since my ammonia levels are excellent there is really no need for Amquel or Ammolock, which is what I thought was the case. I'll pick up a bottle tomorrow!!

Don't even bother with Amonia Lock or any type Amino Lock. That's just another chemical that combats the problem plain and simple. I've spent so much money and time doing the same thing your semi thinking. Listen, you don't need it and it only compounds the issue especially when dealing in bio. You should only need 1 thing unless you need to deal with PH or hardness. That's the "Prime" water conditioner and maybe some bacteria booster like Stress Zyme by API or others like Stable to help build your good bacteria.

Now some might tell you they don't work, and this and that, but let me tell you that inoculations happen all the time in the name of science and they bottle them the same way. Well worth the money in my eyes. The best thing to do is be as simple as you can, the less chemicals the better, stick with just the basics and trust me you will have results.

Hatachimog, reading through your post it appears that you have been having a very similar issue to one that I had about a year ago. I went through a similar set of circumstances and was about to pull out my hair. Talking with my LFS, and with no other options, we decided to test the gravel. I pulled out about a cup worth of gravel from the bottom of the tank, thoroughly washed it in warm water. I then put it in a small dish and added a bottle of water (used an actual bottle so that I knew it was clean). I then tested all levels immediately to confirm that they were zero. After this, I put the dish up on a shelf and left it alone. No fish, no food, no ornaments, etc. Three days later I tested the levels and found that they had spiked. I swapped the gravel out and started the cycling process fresh, but since my tank has been great.

I saw your other post about the Prime. I used it and do like the product. However, before you keep throwing money at your tank, I would suggest that you try what I did. The worst thing that happens is that you rule out one more thing. Hope that it helps and I feel your pain.

Hatachimog, reading through your post it appears that you have been having a very similar issue to one that I had about a year ago. I went through a similar set of circumstances and was about to pull out my hair. Talking with my LFS, and with no other options, we decided to test the gravel. I pulled out about a cup worth of gravel from the bottom of the tank, thoroughly washed it in warm water. I then put it in a small dish and added a bottle of water (used an actual bottle so that I knew it was clean). I then tested all levels immediately to confirm that they were zero. After this, I put the dish up on a shelf and left it alone. No fish, no food, no ornaments, etc. Three days later I tested the levels and found that they had spiked. I swapped the gravel out and started the cycling process fresh, but since my tank has been great. I saw your other post about the Prime. I used it and do like the product. However, before you keep throwing money at your tank, I would suggest that you try what I did. The worst thing that happens is that you rule out one more thing. Hope that it helps and I feel your pain.

Soooo, are u like saying it could be the gravel itself? Did u buy a different brand? I have white gravel now. And just to make sure, you actually tested a small amount of gravel from your tank AFTER rinsing it and put a fresh bottle of pre bottled water in with it and placing it in a container and initially it tested at zero and while keeping the water in the container untouched the levels rose after a few days?

Yes as far as the testing. About a cup worth of gravel, rinse, clean water, wait a couple days. Once I found that it was the gravel, I did replace it with a different brand. Like I said before, it might be nothing...but you could at least rule something out if the levels all come back normal after a few days.

Many types of substrate can have adverse reactions. Just like the type "white" you desided on is most likely covered in white epoxy paint unless it is quarts or something which is expensive. Alkalinity, salt water types, live, and epoxy coated come to mind off the bat.

When ever I choose gravel for a tank I go to one of my local friendly mom and pop shops that guarantee against and adverse reactions of gravel I might be interested in before I even buy it. This way I make sure I set it up correctly and if not then they will fix the situation. Large box stores don't care and don't know.

As for ammonia in gravel, well that’s hard to believe but you never know, still trying to wrap my head around that idea. Anyway, I always get regular river rock without an epoxy which can be clear you know. Besides you want a porous rock because bacteria set up shop in it.

I think stewy's rock had chemicals from the company cleaning before packaging still in them or something. Mayby it was still leaching out or something? But it was a great idea and I learned something from it.

Back
Top Bottom