Dream community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaitlyns17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so my dream community tank would be with my current common pleco castaway, a couple of angel fish, and a pair of blue Acara. Would these fish be good together (I know they can all be aggressive) and what size tank is ideal. I'll be getting one as soon as we redo my room in October so I want to plan it all out. Also live plants in pots or fake plastic plants? Sand or gravel? Just basically tell me anything I need to know so I'm prepared

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Both angels and blue acaras get large, so I'd suggest at least a 40 gallon tank. I'm not sure, however, that they would make good tank mates as they both are a bit aggressive. I think angels are quite attractive so I'd suggest looking for other compatible species to go with them

Both angels and blue acaras get large, so I'd suggest at least a 40 gallon tank. I'm not sure, however, that they would make good tank mates as they both are a bit aggressive. I think angels are quite attractive so I'd suggest looking for other compatible species to go with them

What would be compatible with angels? I was thinking Dalmatian mollies but do they nip fins?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Plants with acaras even when potted is a risk. Just be ready for a desert wasteland if you take the chance. And you'll need sand substrate.

Possibility of some fin nipping with mollies. They're boisterous fish and while the Angels can fend for themselves, there is a possibility that they'll get harassed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cherry Barbs are pretty docile as are many tetras, but Angelfish can be aggressive themselves. You'll just have to try a few combinations. If the angels are small they will adjust to other species; if they are large adults, that's not as likely.

Also you said something about a common pleco? So 40 gallon wouldn't be sufficient either. You'll need something a lot larger.

Petsmart has 65 gallon stand and tank for 199 right now which is an amazing deal I think it's over 300 regular price.

Angels are brackish water fish so are you getting other brackish water fish?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with rlederer. Some angels get along just fine, others fight relentlessly. I move them around as required. Most problems start when two of them pair off. If you only have two, that's not so much of an issue.

They also need good space. I had 3 in a 44g corner pentagon and learned over the years that's pretty much the limit. Veils can grow pretty large, I had one roughly 7 years old and he was 9" from top to bottom. Non-veils stay around 4-5" for me.

Shouldn't be a problem with a couple Acara, they are both cichlids and enjoy the same water parameters. You will definitely need more gallons. But all of the above are semi-aggressive. Again, you just gotta try and see - relocate or rehome as necessary. EG I have a parrot cichlid in mine and its fine. But when I added a large boesmani rainbow it was nothing but war.

If the Acara's pair up, expect war.

>> Angels are brackish water fish

Hmmm I've never added salt to my angels.

Back
Top Bottom