Dream Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cecil2010

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK one day i plan on having a big amazing tank for my home but i need some opinions from people that have been there. I was thinking somewhere in the 200G range. i know that it wont be easy to get it started but is that big of a tank going to be a huge hassle if so what is a good size? Glass or acrylic? DIY or professional install? going that big would i want a water line ran to it for water changes or just a stand alone tank? i realize that this is a huge project but i want to know what i would be getting myself into so that i can make this dream a reality one day.

Thanks in advance!!!

Once you get up to that size you have to make sure your floor can hold the tank. There are a lot of considerations. I definitely don't think that acrylic would be plausible.

well see i didn't think so either but a lot of online resources said that acrylic is actually better for larger tanks because of the sheer weight that a glass tank would produce. a glass 200G is going to weigh over 1000 lbs with just the tank(empty), stand, and canopy. and acrylic would nearly half that.

That's true and you would be less worried about the acrylic springing a leak or an accident happening.

lol yeah but i was just wondering if i would still get the clarity out of acrylic that i get from glass. and how often would i have to buff the scratches out of the acrylic?

Something that big....I would trust to the Experts....check out some shops that build custom tank or you could all look at the DIY plywood job on you tube...I think that is over 200 Gallons.

HOW TO: Plywood Aquarium - YouTube

yea thats what i was thinking. i know that it would be more expencive going that route and i was just wondering if its really worth the extra cost

Back
Top Bottom