driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmuree

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a 90 gal tank for a freshwater setup. Debating whether to use real driftwood found on the shoreline to save some money or spend the cash and buy a resin piece. All thoughts are appreciated

it's really up to you, you can use either one. personally id use the natural oes that you find bc you can pick the piece.

I would use natural, but buy it already cured, unless you are ready for the long curing and decon'ing it.

I'm curing some that I found, and a good tip I learned is to boil it for a few (hours?) and then put it in the toilet tank. Then there's a water change every time you flush! you do that for a few weeks, then boil for a few more (hours?), scrub, and place in the tank. The toilet method is debatable, and some people disagree... But my opinion is that as long as you boil the crap out of it after you put it in there... It should be fine.

I don't even boil mine for that long. 2-3 times for 20 mins at a time to remove nasties and tannins. Then in a bucket of cold water until it cools. Then, into the tank it goes :)

Can't beat a real piece of driftwood. Add some live plants and you can make any tank look great.

A couple of thoughts on driftwood, as I have bought, hunted, and used driftwood many times.

I have bought driftwood that was supposedly "cured" years ago. Was attached to a big piece of slate. Turned my tank water into "tea". Was a nice piece, though.

Have found driftwood, scrubbed, soaked, scrubbed, boiled, and used in tank with no issues (not practical with very large pieces).

Most recently I found a couple of pieces, scrubbed them, boiling water for about 30 minutes, then put in my oven at 200 degrees for a few hours. Afterward, I attached to rock and put in tank (obviously after I cooled off!). No issues with nasties or water coloring.

I start by hosing it down outside (if it's winter, then in the shower) then letting it soak (I soaked my last piece for 2 months in our pond) then ran it through the dishwasher (without soap of course) then soaked it again in a tub. Once cooled, in the tank it went.

Some woods will still release tannins no matter how long you soak/boil. Mopani, my favorite wood, can release for years. We have 3 pieces of manzanita that have been in a tank for over a year and are still tinting the water. It comes down to a matter of "can you live with it or not" I personally don't mind the tannins. If you don't like it, use carbon in your filter, it will soak it up.

What a great site! Thanks to all who responded, you have been very helpful and I will be out hunting for some driftwood this weekend.

Batt4Christ said:
Most recently I found a couple of pieces, scrubbed them, boiling water for about 30 minutes, then put in my oven at 200 degrees for a few hours. Afterward, I attached to rock and put in tank (obviously after I cooled off!). No issues with nasties or water coloring.

This may sound silly, but how did you not burn your house down?

I have a piece of wood that I just cannot get to stop tinting my water. I've tried everything but baking, but I'm so scared of catching fire!

Sssea said:
I have a piece of wood that I just cannot get to stop tinting my water. I've tried everything but baking, but I'm so scared of catching fire!

Some DW is like that and no matter what you do it stains.

If you like, add a bag of Carbon to the filter. That should get rid of it. You'll need to change the carbon monthly.

It's hard to actually catch wood on fire.. Have you ever tried to start a bonfire? Even with dried wood it's pretty challenging... Putting it in the oven should be fine especially as long as it isnt right on the coil thing...

hello i have put a peice of drift wood in my tank without doing anything to it i didnt realise i had to. its covered in a white slime/growth thing now. also it turns my water red even tho its been about a month now with regular water changes. here is a picture of my drift wood can anyone identify what the white stuff is? what should i do?

37953-albums1631-picture11085.jpg

Homedog98 said:
I'm curing some that I found, and a good tip I learned is to boil it for a few (hours?) and then put it in the toilet tank. Then there's a water change every time you flush! you do that for a few weeks, then boil for a few more (hours?), scrub, and place in the tank. The toilet method is debatable, and some people disagree... But my opinion is that as long as you boil the crap out of it after you put it in there... It should be fine.

Omg Lauren that's brill. Never thought of tht. Lol

Back
Top Bottom