Driftwood....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I picked up an excellent piece of driftwood for my 20L. Only question I have is will it eventually sink? Or do I have to mount it to something heavy?

Thanks everyone!

I think (notice - think) that you need to boil it for a while so it doesn't leech tannins? That and the boiling will make it sink.

I think, if I remember reading here right. I could be wrong.

I run m/y dishwasher once with nothing, no soad or nothin, and then put it in for the second run, never had problems with any driftwood

Some wood will sink quickly some won't. If you don't want to wait, weigh it down. I have never boiled wood, but I have bleached it and I have power washed it. One advantage to attaching it to a piece of slate is that you can get it to sit the way you want.

Will soaking it help? It's in an extra 10g now with water and it's floating. LOL

Keep in mind that it may take it weeks to sink while soaking. A couple of runs in the dishwasher ... minus the plates and soap ... on high heat should help.

When all else fails, tie it down to a piece of slate.

Edit / Correction ... days to a week for it to sink while soaking.

my wood just sank immediately :D. kinda wish i boiled it tho... Tannin making my tank look weird

my wood just sank immediately :D. kinda wish i boiled it tho... Tannin making my tank look weird

So did mine ... it was Mopani and it did say on the label it would. It sank like a rock ... thankfully, I had no rocks at the time to tie it down to:nono:.

This isn't mopani, just a piece of regular ole driftwood. The guy I bought a light from today had it lying around and it looked to be the right size. Trying to get pieces to block and spread out the flow from my filter. It's a sandstorm in my tank on the sandbed. lol

I tried the soda bottle trick but it overflows and makes a mess. LOL

I'm using a aquaclear 70 on a 20L and the depth is killing me. I have a piece of fake driftwood blocking some of the flow was hoping the would help with the rest. I also have an AC30 running since its a new tank and I need to seed the new filter. :)

I'm in the process of making a drip system for my 5 gal, I pst pics for that, but maybe it help. Basically water falls into half cut pvc pipe, and is piped around outside of tank with tiny holes drilled all around. Water just drips right in

I'm in the process of making a drip system for my 5 gal, I pst pics for that, but maybe it help. Basically water falls into half cut pvc pipe, and is piped around outside of tank with tiny holes drilled all around. Water just drips right in

that sounds like a really good idea. I don't think it would work on my setup, byt it's given me inspiration on my pico!

Thanks!

No problem, ill do pics when it gets done. I spend so muc@h time staring at my fish tanks thinkn of what all I could do

Back
Top Bottom