Driftwood leaving brown water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vinnykh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a nice large piece of driftwood for my new tank and wanted to set all up before the cycle starts. I've scrubbed it, used boiling water, soaked the piece for over a week with several water changes. Put in my tank and after a couple of days I have a slight brown tint to the water. When the aquarium lights are on it can't be noticed. I've now done a 80% water change and once again the wood is in soak. I really want to start my cycle tommorow. If I can get the water as clear as possible will any more brown that does appear effect the cycle and fish. Also will it eventually go if I get more of the colour?thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tannic Acid

Hello Vinn...

Just keep changing out large amounts of tank water. This will keep the tank clean for the fish and remove the tannins. Tannic acid leached from the wood will make the water a tiny bit acidic, but that's good for the plants and won't bother the fish.

Keep the water clean and the amber color will eventually go away.

B

Thanks. So starting my cycle will be fine?

I've found that you need to *boil* driftwood for a good 3-4 hours to leach out the majority of the tannins. And you'll want to change out the water in the pot at least four times as well. It's tedious, but it works.

Depending on your stocking (cherry barbs and neon tetras really look nice in tannin'ed water XD) you could just leave it without boiling it. I kinda like how the tannin water looks sometimes.

Finally got it clear. Done 2 x 80% water changes in 2 days.

Back
Top Bottom