Drip acclimation question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluerose

Aquarium Advice FINatic
when drip acclimating fish, can you add fresh dechlor'd water to the bag water in the container so they have enough water to move about? Trying to match temp of course.

Not sure exactly what you're asking. If you're asking can you dump in a cup of dechlorinated water to increase the water volume, then yes you could but you wouldn't be drip acclimating which is supposed to be a fairly slow process. If you're asking if you should drip dechlorinated water into the container first, then no this really isn't necessary since you're trying to adjust the fish to your aquarium conditions.

Sorry for not being quite clear.

The container I'm planning on getting for drip acclimating/hospital tank/holding tank/etc is going to be sort of mid-sized and I don't know if the water the fish come in will be enough to cover them while I'm drip acclimating them (I'm considering adding a female betta to my tank so this could be a problem especially).

So I'm asking if it would be OK to add some normal, pH 7, dechlor water to the water they came in and then beginning the drip acclimation to my tank so that they are comfortable and can swim while acclimating. (Providing they aren't in some wacky pH water- I would test first).

I suppose I could ask the LFS for an extra bag of just water? but that wouldn't be much help for a betta in a cup with who knows what water perams... the ones here are all in water tinted blue (I'm assuming to deal with the ammonia/nitrite).

You'll want to either use a smaller container or tip the one that you'll be using so that it's at and angle and the water pools in a corner. You can get some smaller plastic containers in the paint dept of Walmart very inexpensively which work really well.

Yes, what Purrbox said. By adding extra water in the beginning, you are defeating the purpose of the drip acclimation.

I have just kept the fish in the bag they came home with for the first part of acclimation as well, allowing the amount of water to increase.

Back
Top Bottom