Dual 20 gallon and 55 gallon fishless water cycle and builds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey eco, me again ;) I just bought a 29 gallon tank. my 10 gallon as you know is cycled do I just move my filter media and put it in my new filter that I got and its cycled? I have a goldie, will he be fine in the new tank ? I just filled it up with water and decorinator. I have a 20gallon aquaclear filter and am upgrading to a 70 gallon aquaclear, waiting for your call on this....im clueless

Sorry wrong forum!! thought I clicked on cycling guide!

Last edited:
Christina717 said:
hey eco, me again ;) I just bought a 29 gallon tank. my 10 gallon as you know is cycled do I just move my filter media and put it in my new filter that I got and its cycled? I have a goldie, will he be fine in the new tank ? I just filled it up with water and decorinator. I have a 20gallon aquaclear filter and am upgrading to a 70 gallon aquaclear, waiting for your call on this....im clueless

Good for you getting a bigger tank. Sounds like it will be the perfect home for your Goldie. :)

Yep, just move every single scrap of filter media from the old into the new. Normally there's a chance of toxin spikes for a few days since you lose the beneficial bacteria on the walls / substrate / decor, but since you just finished a fishless cycle at 4ppm of ammonia, I'd bet you have an abundance of beneficial bacteria and it won't hurt to lose the small amount inside the tank since you've got extra.

It'd also be a good idea to run both filters on the same tank. That way you'll have a backup running in case one fails, you'll have the ability to set up an instantly cycled emergency quarantine tank by simply throwing the smaller filter on your 10 gallon, and with Goldfish there's no such thing as over-filtration. Enjoy :D

A couple of quick questions:

I have some algae growing in my tank (green algae/moss like) and I was wondering if that is bad? I know that Goldfish like it so is it beneficial to have it?

Also I have a filter with bio wheels in it and I think I need to change the actual filters. Ya or nay? Does the bacteria live in the filters and the bio wheels or just the bio wheels?

Back
Top Bottom