Dwarf Gourami tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deb_unlimited

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm just getting started with fish. You can see my initial post on the intro forum...:lol: I plan to have 2 betta tanks, 10 gallons each and one Dwarf Gourami tank of 30 gallons. I've been doing lots of reading, researching online, talking to the LFS and here's where I am:

Purchased a 30 gallon high bowfront tank from Craig's List w/stand
I'm adding:
Quad light 96 watts T5
Aquaclear 70 gallon filter (with peat)
Sand substrate with Eco-Complete for planted aquarium
Assorted resin and driftwood ornamentation plus some rock

I'm thinking 5 Dwarf Gouramis, 2 male, 3 female. What would do well with them in a tall tank? What scavengers would do well in their setting (temp, pH, etc.) Would shrimp survive? What smaller, perhaps schooling fish could I use or do they all need a long tank? How do you use peat in a filter? Do you not use charcoal then?

I'm just getting started with fish. You can see my initial post on the intro forum...:lol: I plan to have 2 betta tanks, 10 gallons each and one Dwarf Gourami tank of 30 gallons. I've been doing lots of reading, researching online, talking to the LFS and here's where I am:

Purchased a 30 gallon high bowfront tank from Craig's List w/stand
I'm adding:
Quad light 96 watts T5
Aquaclear 70 gallon filter (with peat)
Sand substrate with Eco-Complete for planted aquarium
Assorted resin and driftwood ornamentation plus some rock

I'm thinking 5 Dwarf Gouramis, 2 male, 3 female. What would do well with them in a tall tank? What scavengers would do well in their setting (temp, pH, etc.) Would shrimp survive? What smaller, perhaps schooling fish could I use or do they all need a long tank? How do you use peat in a filter? Do you not use charcoal then?

I would add another female. I've actually kept 5 in a 33g before. I successfully kept them with some Cories and maybe a school of cardinals. Are you thinking of breeding them? I'm not sure how you use peat in a filter. I know you can get peat balls. They come in different sizes and each size has a size tank it treats up to. EG: small peat ball-10 gallons medium: 20-30 large: 30-40. It also tells you what pH it sets the tank at. You could put a small peat ball in a 30g but it would set the tank a higher pH than if you were to put a medium one in. They also last for around 6 months before you have to get another ball and squeeze it in the tank again. :)

Just be careful because the males especially can be fine together then if something sets them off they will start getting aggressive. Another thing is I would add them all at the same time so they are all starting out in the tank without anyone already having a set territory. Something else to consider is many places only sell males since females are so drab in color and no one wants to buy them. Personally I'm not sure I'd go this route in that size tank but if you want to just be sure to have a place to move any to if problems occur.

Still looking for ideas

Okay, still looking for ideas for the 30 gallon high tank. We have rural water which is pretty hard, tests at high end in GH and KH. I really like the look of a planted tank but would consider something else. Entertaining suggestions...shell dwellers? Could build several levels into the tank...???

Last edited:
Interesting idea, a dwarf gourami tank. Like rivercats said, I wouldn't do it. I know my petsmart only sells males, and they are super aggressive. You could maybe do a couple apistos and a school of tetras, danios, or barbs. I have never had apistos, but maybe:
3 Apistogramma (one male, two female)
AND EITHER
5 tiger barbs
7 rosy barbs
7 cherry barbs
6 giant danios
or a school of tetras

I know next to nothing about African cichlids but I know they like hard water and they come in some awesome colors. You could make a rock back by stacking rocks one on top of the other and can even use coral adhesive to hold them together and then get some of the colorful African cichlids. You'd have to do some research and or ask about different ones on the cichlid forum but you could have a very interesting tank. Something like this... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/my-mbuna-aquarium-230456.html

Thanks. I think I am going to stick with a non-planted tank for now. Too much to learn right away and too much to keep track of. I think I will concentrate on taking really good care of the fish in my tank and pick a few that do well in hard water.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom