Dwarf Gouramis in a 10g Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These lil Otos guys are great for smaller tanks! EAT all the time, they are happy & so am i! They keep my tank algee free! Love to hide in moss balls...& eat them at the same time. They are fun to watch & love to be in groups of sm. #'s. 3 would be great! Would take care of algee problem. Scientific name is Otocinclus.

Three more fish would leave me overstocked. It would be nice to have something to keep this algae away though. Just saw some pics of zebra or leopard(not sure) otos and they are beautiful! :/

Jennie L said:
Not at all. Should work great with your other stock also! Very small algee busters!

Okay, I might go look for some next week, gonna keep an eye on the bio load as I just added the DG and Betta to the tank. Still thinking of a name for the DG, we call the Betta Cujo. :)

Mumma.of.two said:
It would be best to wait until your tank has been running and stable for 6months+. Most are wild caught and are very hard to supplement feed.

Thanks mumma, I am gonna wait a while, thought I was finished cycling, thought I was seeing a small amount of nitrate along with very little ammonia but I just tested right now and got nitrites for the first time since I got my test kit.
What do you think, am I just about done?

Looks like .25 ammo, .25 nitri, and less than 5 nitrates.

Mumma.of.two said:
Definitely still cycling. Keep up the water changes and monitoring. It could level out in days or it could take weeks. All you can do is wait :)

Yeah, very excited to see some changes, I've been getting the same readings twice a day for weeks now! Haha

If you feel the tank has not cycled properly & you have any signs of animosity or nitrate, or nurture then I wouldn't had any thing else for a while. I supplement feed with semi moist submit.g pellets or very small algee wafers. If the don't eat the wafer make sure & remove after at most 24hrs. I supplement feed @ night as they are a bit nocturnal... I've got a lot of plants for them to clean along with the wood & the rocks etc. They love Japanese Moss balls also! Mine ate so much he actually has a green tint to him! I gjust got 4 2 yesterday @ one LFS 2 more 2day at a different LFS plus added only 5 bright eye rasbora. 5 more next week so here is my stock in my 40 gal planted tank...6 harlequin Rasbora, 4 otos, 5 eye spot rasbora. I plan on adding 5 more eyespot Rasbora, 1 more otos, 1 corys cat fish & a school of 6 (golden variety) of the white mountain minnoes. Then I WILL be fully stocked. Don't want an over load! 32 fish EA. W/ maximum length of 2 inches...too many do you think? That all depends on my readings also. Keep me posted on yours. If you have access to API all natural water primer, stress coat it could add to your good biological output. What type of filter are you using?

Thought I'd update real quick, my tank finished cycling last night! :dance: Relieved that my fish are finally safe! I'll never do that again! I'm gonna give it maybe another month or so before I think about getting the otos, just to make sure everything is stable. I've heard they are very sensitive.... I really want to get the zebra ones but I doubt I'll be able to find any locally, I'll have to order them online somewhere. Got a few new plants and disposed of the non-aquatics I had. Added DIY c02 about an hour ago and now I'm just waiting for bubbles! :) so far my DG is doing great, I did catch him with a few leafs from a plant that wasn't doing too well so I took it out. He doesn't mess with anything that is healthy. He also eats the algae from the leaves and DW so that's a plus! :) I have an aqueon filter btw, wanting to upgrade to aquaclear but my fiancé said no more money on the fish tank for awhile... LOL

Back
Top Bottom