Dwarf Puffer Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlome

Aquarium Advice Newbie
As I mentioned in another post, I am quite new to fishkeeping and have been spending a lot of time researching. My son adores puffer fish (youtube videos for HOURS) and I am interested in having a puffer fish tank. I have done a great deal of research on the internet but I still have some questions.

I understand fishless cycling, which I intend to do. I know puffers can NOT be used to cycle. I am able to visit the petstore to get pond snails (once weekly pickup) which are readily available where I am. I know puffers are carnivores, must be in a species only tank and need plants and caves in which to hide to avoid excess aggression.

That's what I do know. What I need help understanding is the following:

Can I keep 3 dwarf puffers in a 10 gallon (which would be my preference so they can be on my desk) or should I use a 20?

How many puffers to a 10 and 20 gallon?

Can puffers live in an unplanted aquarium provided they are given many fabric plants and structures to hide in?

What are the water perameters for puffers? My water (tested after sitting overnight in a container - not from a tank) is PH 7.5 KH 80, GH 60.

Is sand the best substrate for puffers? If so, how may pounds to the gallon?

Thanks so much for any advice.

T

Do puffers need a

Idealy dwarf puffers would be happiest with 5g of water each, but you can get away with 3g per puffer. 3 would be the max in a 10 gallon tank(1 male and 2 females to avoid excessive agression). If you plan to use a 10g tank for 3 puffers, you have to be diligent and stay on top of tank maintenence. The less water you have to work with, the easier it is for problems with water quality to be out of control.

Puffers are scaleless fish, and are delicate. Pool Filter Sand would be a good choice in substrate. Also, silk plants would be fine. Avoid plastic plants that have sharp edges, they could injure your fish.

Also, they need a stable Ph of atleast 7.0, they prefer temperatures of 80F, 0 ammonia and nitrite at 0 at all times, and nitrate less than 20.
Other than that, the puffers can tolerate most other water parameters, as long as they are properly acclimated, and its stable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom