Dwarf Puffer Home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WolfaraRose

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay I think I have everything figured out, but I would love more opinions. The Stock should be fine, esp from what I have researched, and I will be on top of finding females and plenty of hiding spaces, and etc.

My Questions are at the bottom of this post.

Stock
4x Dwarf Puffers (1m 3f)

Equipment

Filter- 10-30i Tetra Whisper Filter
Heater- Marineland Visi-Therm 15 Gallon Heater
Air pump + Accessories- Tetra Whisper Air Pump 10+ Airline Tubing+Check Valve+ 1 Marineland LED Moonlight Blue Bubble Wand
Substrate- White Gravel
Hood- Aqueon 20" Versatop + 20" Fluorescent Strip Light + 18" Life-Glo 2 Fluorescent Light Bulb
Ferts-Seachem Flourish, API CO2 Booster
Cleaning Equipment- 5" Mini Lee's Ultra-vac + Small Glass Only Mag-Float Algae Scraper + Aquatic Gardener + 5 Gallon Bucket
Supplements- Seachem Garlic Guard
Water Conditioner- Seachem Prime
Thermometers- In Tank Thermometer +Sticky Outside Glass Thermometer
Food- Frozen Bloodworm, Live Snails on Occasion, Freeze Dried Daphnia
Net- 2" Penn Plax Infra Red Quick Net

Plants
Floating

6 Salvinia
1 Red Blue Water Lily

​Background

1 Dwarf Ambulia
2 Compact Aponogeton
3 Dwarf Vallisneria
1 Tiger Lotus
3 Bamboo

Midground

1 Crypt Wendtii
1 Aponogeton Crispus
2 java fern on Rocks
2 Becketts Crypt
1 Bamboo
1 Dwarf Vallisneria

Foreground

4 Dwarf Baby Tears on Rocks
2 Crypt Willisii

Decorations
Medium Root Stump
2 pack and 3 pack Cichlid Stones
1 Bridge
1 Random ruin

Suggestions welcome!

Here are my questions

Do I need to cut back the plant list, and if so how many should it be for each plant? These are all part of the Dwarf Puffers natural surroundings, and the ones I liked outta the list...save for the bamboo.
Any more general equipment that I missed?
What should my WC % be per week, taking into consideration the plants?
Should I add any more different ferts, and if not, are the ones listed acceptable?
The decorations, too many or would it be okay?
Should I add a Proper PH Buffer 6.5, or will my Ph of 7 be adequate?
​Is my lighting sufficient?
​Is there anything else I have missed?
How should I arrange Everything as well?

​​

My Opinions.
I think the stock list is acceptable, and I think I would only have to perform 10% WC's once every two weeks. I like the ornaments I have picked out, so please don't tell me to try something else, because it is my tank, and I like the ornaments. I would love it if someone could point out some names for the future dwarf puffers as well, but remember to keep them linked. I prefer Gaelic origin names, but if you have some Harry Potter Names, just make sure there is one for each of the puffers. I'm OCD so it is a bit of a big thing. Thanks in advance as well, and give me your honest opinion! Thanks All!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome!

I can't answer a lot of your questions but way to go for planning everything ahead of time.

I'm not seeing the size of your tank listed, that would help.

A few answers ...

Aquadvisor would be helpful in checking your stocking level.

You might also get more advice on the plants if you mentioned what substrate you will use.

Do not add anything to alter pH. It's more important for pH to be stable, than perfect, and every time you add things to the water you create an opportunity for osmotic stress on your fish.

The one exception to adding things to alter pH is if you have extremely soft tap water. Given your personality, you might like to get a GH/KH test kit and check both your GH and KH of your tap water. It's good to know anyway. If your GH and KH are below about 3-4 then you might want to add Seachem Equilibrium and a buffer (I use a small dose of Cichlid Buffer). NOT a pH setting chemical.

You might use a baby name website, have it sort by Gaelic origin names, and pick 4 that start with the same letter.

As for arranging, triangles and odd numbers are pleasing. Try putting the largest item in the center and the 2 smaller ones on each side. Then put your 2 tallest plants in the back corners, covering your filter and heater a little. Your next 2 tallest plants could go on either side of your biggest decoration.

Then take the rest of your plants and divide in groups of 3 according to similarity. They don't have to be exactly the same, just similar. Plant each group of 3 in a triangle from each other, use different sizes and shapes of triangles. This should distribute your plants in a way that doesn't look too contrived, but is very balanced.

I'm a little OCD myself and end up being more pleased with a smaller variety of plants.

Size is 10 gallons and ALL the info, even down to which type of surge protector I am using, is listed in the list. But since ya asked, I'm just using Black Gravel. :D Thanks for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom