Dwarf Puffer Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
After a hard decision on what to get for my 5.5g tank, I've decided on the adorable dwarf puffer.

This is my tank build, and my journey with my dwarf puffer:)

Current set up:
Tank: 5.5g
Light: 13w CFL 6500K
Filter: Tetra Whisper 10i (or something like that)
Flora: Java Fern, X-Mass Moss, Anubias Afezelli, Moneywort, Rotala rotundifolia, and micro swords.
Fish: 1 Dwarf Puffer (not yet though)

Here are pictures of the tank right at this moment:
img_2051027_0_5c94095f03c2526ac2e91c189c4bd75e.jpg

img_2051027_1_095e76fcaccba72abc91d2de2bfa6e17.jpg

I'm still needing some more plants for the back left and front right. I don't think that those are enough plants.

What are your suggestions for the tank?

Amazon swords and java fern are good too. The java fern can take a little bit to fill in, but it will.

For a background plant, vallisnaria would work. Madagascar lace plants might be ok in there.
I love the look of the vallisnaria, but wouldn't that get too tall? I'm in love with the Madagascar lace! It's beautiful:)

Amazon swords and java fern are good too. The java fern can take a little bit to fill in, but it will.
I like amazon swords and would buy one in a heart beat, but they get too big. However, my 55g likes your opinion;)

Like I've said before ... That looks perfect for a dwarf puffer!
Thanks Samzter! I still want to fill it in a bit, but I may buy the puffer then fill it in more:)

I think that I'm going to do either dwarf sag (close to vallisnaria-bettalover(y)), rosette sword (which is close to the amazon sword, but smaller KayNeko), anubais barteri or some pennywort. It's all down to what the aquarium store has!

I'm hoping to get the puffer tomorrow or Thursday, it all depends on when I can get up there.:dance:

Here's the first picture of "him":
img_2053629_0_192fc85f3421e66e49495eeb4c3cc624.jpg

It's not too good but it works I'll upload some more pictures in a bit!

AquaKai said:
Here's the first picture of "him":

It's not too good but it works I'll upload some more pictures in a bit!

That looks like a figure 8 puffer..? Or maybe even a green spot? Are you positive its a dwarf?

That looks like a figure 8 puffer..? Or maybe even a green spot? Are you positive its a dwarf?

Yeah, he's a dwarf for sure. I'm trying to upload pictures, but today isn't my day with technology. I've already killed a mower and GPS, I hope I didn't kill PhotoBucket too!

Hey I killed my mower yesterday too! And almost my dog :(
Anyway looking forward to pics :)

I hope this works!
40746-albums9939-picture40865.jpg

40746-albums9939-picture40866.jpg

40746-albums9939-picture40867.jpg

I'm still uploading more:D They're in my album "Dwarf Puffer".

Samzter: Good luck with that! I really want to see how you do yours! I don't think my has enough stuff, but Joey seems to be enjoying himself:)

I love puffers! I plan on getting a new tank soon just for them! You have an adorable setup too!

You really should! I've really come to love Joey in the past few hours. I've been sitting at my desk and he's come to visit me a few times, when he's not playing in the flow of the filter or swimming through the plants. I spent a while figuring out how I wanted my tank. Those driftwood pieces cost me a lot, but they were worth it! Thanks!!! Can't wait to see your set up:D

It's been a while since I've posted on here. Joey's been great! He has been keeping me sane through all the homework (which there's been a LOT of) and college searching (which is annoying! I need a college fairy godmother...).

I'm still adding to his tank and rearranging some things. Currently I'm battling algae! That cursed thing! Here's some pictures using my awful phone:

img_2109841_0_924b302fbcddbc20933802e4afea739b.jpg

img_2109841_1_34543bcc139e9c9c8586db56935dbfcd.jpg

img_2109841_2_f33bcabfdecee8f712b008b2272eebba.jpg

I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow after school. But, just wanted to show off the changes!

Ok, here's the pictures that I promised 2 days ago...
Current Setup:
img_2112508_0_ed782fe8db3dfd34820b3fe5e087cc0e.jpg

This tank has been set up for a little over a month. There have been some changes but not too much. Sorry for all of the dirtiness of the tank, I just was vacuuming it and doing some water changes!

Original Tank Setup:
8/2/12
img_2112508_1_5c94095f03c2526ac2e91c189c4bd75e.jpg

Also I have a few questions that hopefully you can help with here: A Few DP/Tank Questions

The tank looks awesome! That's the look I want to eventually go for in my tank!

Back
Top Bottom