Eclipse System 12 Stocking Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phonemonkey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I recently purchased an eclipse system 12 (12 gallon kit with bio-wheel filter) and supplies to go along with it. I was just wondering if people could offer up some stocking combination suggestions? Keep in mind I'm a beginner at this, but have done and continue to do all the learning I can in order to do this properly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Heres a brief list of species I've been considering, would love some advice on which combinations would be best:

Larger Species (would only get 1):
-Dwarf Gourami
-Platies
-Bettas
-Guppies
-Corydoras

Small Species (would get at least 6):
-White Clouds
-Neon Tetras
-Cherry Barbs

I would get:

1 - Dwarf Gourami
or/an
1 - Male Betta
also
6 - Neon Tetras
1 - Cory

This combo will provide LOTS of color for your tank...

Keep in mind the more fish you have the more PWC you'll need to make and the better filtration you should have.

Thanks for the suggestion, thats actually pretty much exactly what I was thinking of getting. I'm definitely planning on doing weekly PWC, and the eclipse filter is supposed to be one of the best out there (3 stage with bio-wheel).

I've always been a fan of cherry barbs. If this is your first time keeping fish, they're generally hardy as are the white clouds (although not quite as pretty IMO). Some people find neons to be less hardy though I've never had a problem with them.

Corys I love...but that single one is likely to be lonely...they're much more active and playful with at least 3. You could probably have 3 if you stuck to dwarf ones.

Either the dwarf gourami or betta would be a great centerpiece.

fish 'n' fries said:
I've always been a fan of cherry barbs. If this is your first time keeping fish, they're generally hardy as are the white clouds (although not quite as pretty IMO). Some people find neons to be less hardy though I've never had a problem with them.

Corys I love...but that single one is likely to be lonely...they're much more active and playful with at least 3. You could probably have 3 if you stuck to dwarf ones.

Either the dwarf gourami or betta would be a great centerpiece.

So... just to clarify, your suggestion would be:

-1 Dwarf Gourami or Betta
-6(?) Cherry Barbs
-3 Corys

To be honest...that may be overstocking--especially as this is your first tank (this is probably the time to be conservative with stocking). Sorry, I was just worrying about that single cory. :)

As it's your first tank...I'd go with less rather than more fish--it will make your odds of success higher and your life easier. :)

I suppose it depends on your vision...you could easily have a school (~6) of any of your schooling fish with 3 corys for the bottom (again, I'd stick to the dwarf ones). This is what I would do, but I like having bottom dwellers with my mid/upper level fish.

If you want a centerpiece fish (I'm thinking here of your betta or dwarf gourami)--I'd do either the school or the corys.

I've never kept livebearers (platys/guppies) 'cause I don't want to deal with fry. That said...they're not schooling fish so you could keep 3 (be careful about the sexes) quite happily and then could have more variety if that's what you're interested in.

Good luck!

Heh, yeah I kinda thought that sounded like overstocking.

Right now I like the sound of the idea of a betta with a school (or group I suppose, since I hear they don't actually school) of cherry barbs. The only thing is, I'm a bit sketchy on buying a betta, as I REALLY don't want to support the way they are treated by distributors... such as...

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Betta, Housing.htm

EDIT:

Ok, so I'm now thinking a Betta is actually a pretty bad idea for this tank. Heres why...

-From what I hear, Bettas prefer a calm surface to the water, as they need to breathe. This tank uses a decently powerful bio-wheel filter, and I doubt the surface of the water will be calm enough.

-I have heard numerous accounts of male bettas going after even small community tankmates, like the cherry barbs or white clouds I'm looking at.

-Last but not least, the treatment of these fish by distributors and pet stores.

I know...I haven't had a betta since I was a kid...same issue...I can never quite bring myself to buy a fish they've been keeping in a 1 cup "bowl" at best. I don't know where you are...maybe there are good breeders or something locally if you really want one. There are tons of betta web pages that may give you some ideas.

Hey, if you count how many fish are in the tanks, most stores give fish about 1/4 gallon per fish in tanks. Cups CAN be better than being showed in tanks so long as the fish are still fed and have water changes. The bad consequences of shipping and selling in the cups are that people think bettas thrive in small spaces naturally.
As for bettas going after smaller fish, I'd bet that the cherry barbs are more likely to shred the fins of the betta.
Filters can be a problem, but if you provide plants and decor that blocks the current then the betta might be perfectly fine in the tank.

On another topic, can anyone reccomend sources of pure ammonia for running a fishless cycle? Not sure where to start.

Actually, cherry barbs are fairly unique among barbs in that they generally aren't fin nippers...so they should be fine.

Sorry, I'm no use about the ammonia...but I'm sure someone will know! :)

amonia

You can probably find suitable amonia at a grocery store or pharmacy. What you need is pure amonia. No detergents, scents, etc. If you shake the bottle and there is no foaming, you should be safe. Oh, and sniff (gently, amonia is strong stuff!) for a perfume.

fish 'n' fries is right about the cherry barbs. There can be a bit rowdy among themselves, chasing and carrying on, but they don't seem to bother others. Mine even steal the angels food with no hard feelings. Bettas can be unpredictable, however. Most are peaceful and will get along with anything that does not harass them. A few will not tolerate tankmates. Of course a male betta is not exactly a speed demon and is unlikely to catch a cherry barb. lol If you have a bacup plan if things turn ugly (meaning remove someone), a male betta would likely work out.

Good luck and let us know how it goes, preferably with pics!!

I submit my vote for the cherry barbs as well....I love mine and I was lucky enough to find some that are bright cherry red- beautiful addition to any tank and they leave all of their tank mates alone too :)

Phonemonkey - you can find pure ammonia, with no additives, at ACE Hardware in with the other cleaners (I think its called "Janitorial strength" or something like that)

Phonemonkey said:
On another topic, can anyone reccomend sources of pure ammonia for running a fishless cycle? Not sure where to start.

I know this has already been answered to an extent, but if you live in the US and have an ACE hardware nearby I would head there.

The ACE brand stuff is good to go. I used it with no problems.

Just want to tell you- my betta did horribly in a community tank. They are very unpredictable with other fish. Sometimes it just doesn't work. Leo is now hanging out in his own five gallon tank and is doing well, but putting him in the main tank was a disaster - I have assorted tetras including neons, mollies, and platys.

I have also found that my gold barbs are peaceful with the other fish, do not chase them or nip fins. However, they are kind of agressive among themselves.

Back
Top Bottom