Eco bio stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carole2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Not had any replies about the Eco bio stones - does that mean no-one has used them?
They sound (and look) quite cool! They're meant to speed up the nitrogen cycle and help keep the water clear.
If anyone has tried them, please give me your views. Thanks.

Looked them up--honestly sounds like a bunch of hoo-doo. They say to soak it--if that means it comes dry, then any bacteria that might have been on it has died. It would do you about the same amount of good as substrate in developing a BB culture would since it states it's porous, but I see nothing that makes it worth spending money on. Especially since it says it takes 2 to 6 weeks to start taking effect--sounds like a regular cycling period to me.

Yes, maybe not such a good idea, and very expensive! Is there anything else you can suggest that might help?
Some sort of liquid additive maybe? I want to make it as comfortable for the fish as possible.

I'm guessing your cycling a tank.. If you are doing a fish-in cycle just keep up on the water changes and testing. Let your test kit be your guide as far as water changes are concerned. If ammonia or nitrite get over .25ppm do a water change.

I did a fish-in cycle years ago and it did take a bit of work but it was worth it in the end.

Ok, thanks. Roughly how long should I run the new tank before adding the fish. I have one Betta, one platy, three ottos, two khuli loaches and three apple snails, oh and twoassasin snails.

Until you're water parameters are stable. What size tank do you have?

I think I misread earlier....are you just transferring the fish from the 35 to the 60? Then just move everyone over with the current filter.

Can I do that straight away? I thought I had to wait at least a day or two! I've got it all wrong haven't I!
So let me just check. I set up the new tank, fit the new heater, put the filter from the old one and also the new filter on and then I can transfer the fish. Then do water changes and tests regularly. Is this right?

Yep. Make sure everything runs on the new tank before starting to move, but other than that, yep.

Great, thanks. It's not so complicated as I thought! Can I use new sand substrate though and not the sand from the old tank?

Yep. While there's a little nitrifying bacteria in the substrate, not enough to make a huge difference.

...if you drain a half of your current tank and put that water in the new one it would help "age" your tank. You're still going to have a small ammonia spike but it should level out quickly with the old filter and water. New water can kill off some of the bacteria in your filter. The otos can be a bit sensitive but the rest of your fish are pretty hearty. Should be fine.

Thanks, I was going to ask about the water. Should I put the ornaments in the new tank without cleaning them too?

Carole2 said:
Thanks, I was going to ask about the water. Should I put the ornaments in the new tank without cleaning them too?

That would definitely help seed the new gravel.

I'll do that then. Plan to make the move next week - wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom