Eco-Complete Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a really good system you have. And it obviously works. I was under the impressions that CO2 was good for keeping ph2 down so you can keep more acidic fish. I am asking because I was hoping to have german blue rams as well as shrimp and rummy nose tetras in the tank. I understand they are acidic dwellers so using 75% RO and 25% tap will get a relatively low kH and gH allowing the pH to remain relatively low.
I will have to do more research into the dry fertz field and find out how to dose accordingly. I was going to start with Thrive+ for now until i learn more about dry ferts.

Also I was reading your last message Z and you mentioned doseimg metricide 14. Well i had no idea what that was so i looked into it. And im sure glad i did! I never knew there was something way better out there then excel! I put that on my list of things to buy for my tank for sure!
So about that, you mentioned a small bit about what your dose amount is for your tanks. What would you say a good starting ratio is for metricide, 5mls/10 gallons? Then tweek it from there? I have a 75gal tank. Also, would using this alone help keep the pH low for the rams? Could i use this product as well as infuse CO2?
Sorry for all the questions but this opened up a whole new world for me.

P.s. ill definitly be getting blasting sand for my aquarium after reading up on it. Way better then the name brand stuff and looks great!

I would not use CO2 to keep a low pH. I would use 100% RO if you have the ability. Remineralize it to 0.5 - 1.0 degrees of kH and maybe use some peat or a buffering substrate to drive pH down.

You can use Met14 for sure, it is stronger than excel, you you dose met14 only 60% of what excel states. Like I said, I dose 8mL’s per day into a 25 gallon tank.

Thrive is a great starting fertilizer if you don’t want to jump into dry ferts yet.

Eventually your dirt will be exhausted and you will have to replace, unless you replace regularly.

I’ll be honest, I don’t don’t do dirted tanks, never have done one, but I want to try one eventually. Everything I’ve seen is eventually, could be a year - could be 2 years, you will have to start fertilizing as the dirt will be exhausted.

Good thing about dirt though is that it is 100% organic matter, so it will have a higher CEC and be capable of “storing” fertilizer you dose.

Ah ok I see what you meant now. Yes they will exhaust. I usually get bored with the scape before that happens and rescape. Longest I let a tank go was 2 years.

Would potting soil (dirt) be good to use as a bottom layer? Then using sand as a good top layer? Or would this not work good? Like by mixing and just look bad after awhile?

Would potting soil (dirt) be good to use as a bottom layer? Then using sand as a good top layer? Or would this not work good? Like by mixing and just look bad after awhile?

As long as you aren't uprooting plants or have fish that dig then it will work and not look bad. I will say that my first attempt at a dirted tank was a disaster. If it is your first time doing dirt then I would recommend getting a 10g and try it in that first. I wouldn't do it in your main tank. If you try dirt do 1" of organic potting soil with a 1" cap and plant more on the heavy side. Plant around 70% of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom